Posted to user@mahout.apache.org by Sebastian Schelter <ss...@apache.org> on 2014/03/12 08:03:47 UTC

Website, urgent help needed

Hi,

As you've probably noticed, I've put in a lot of effort over the last
days to kickstart cleaning up our website. I've thrown out a lot of
stuff and have been startled by the amout of outdated and incorrect
information on our website, as well as links pointing to nowhere.

I think our lack of documentation makes it superhard to use Mahout for
new people. A crucial next step is to clean up the documentation on
classification and clustering. I cannot do this alone, because I don't
have the time and I'm not so familiar with the background of the algorithms.

I need volunteers to go through all the pages under "Classification" and
"Clustering" on the website. For the algorithms, the content and claims
of the articles need to be checked, for the examples we need to make
sure that everything still works as described. It would also be great to
move articles from personal blogs to our website.

Imagine that some developer wants to try out Mahout and takes one hour
for that in the evening. She will go to our website, download Mahout,
read the description of an algorithm and try to run an example. In the
current state of the documentation, I'm afraid that most people will
walk away frustrated, because the website does not help them as it should.

Best,
Sebastian

PS: I will make my standpoint on whether Mahout should do a 1.0 release
depend on whether we manage to clean up and maintain our documentation.

Re: Website, urgent help needed

Posted by Gaurav Misra <ga...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sebastian,

Thanks for your effort with cleaning up the website. I've created an issue
for cleaning up the two examples under clustering, part of this might need
some new pages created to fix some broken links. I'll update the JIRA
ticket as needed over the next day or two.

Best,
Gaurav

*Gaurav Misra*

Posted by Sebastian Schelter <ss...@apache.org>.
Hi Manoj,

Posted by Sebastian Schelter <ss...@apache.org>.
Hi Manoj,

Posted by Manoj Awasthi <aw...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Pavan Kumar N <pa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Kevin, go to eclipse market place and install "m2eclipse" . after you do
a "mvn install" on your mahout, import the compiled mahout.

I ll try to write detailed documentation with screenshots but for the
moment use the above as starting point.

Posted by Sebastian Schelter <ss...@apache.org>.

Posted by Juan José Ramos <jj...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sebastian,

Posted by Pavan Kumar N <pa...@gmail.com>.
hi. just read the whole email just now as earlier i was travelling. i am on
it.

Posted by pramit choudhary <pr...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Sebastian, that's a great help.

#Pramit

--
Pramit Choudhary
949.864.9717

Re: Website, urgent help needed

Posted by Kevin Moulart <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sebastian Schelter <ss...@apache.org>.
Here you can see all issues (resolved and unresolved) for the next release:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAHOUT-1413?jql=project%20%3D%20MAHOUT%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%201.0%20ORDER%20BY%20priority%20DESC

When you start to work on the cleanup of a page, make sure that there is
no ticket existing for that. If it isnt, create a jira ticket with the
name of the page in the title.

--sebastian

Posted by pramit choudhary <pr...@gmail.com>.
Hi All,

Posted by Sebastian Schelter <ss...@apache.org>.
Hi Kevin,

Thank you for offer to help! Feel free to ask questions here how to
setup the sources in Eclipse. If you succeed, you could writeup what you
did and we could add this to the website, as I'm sure a lot of others
will have the same problem.

It would be great if you could start improving the javadoc, its totally
fine if your english is not perfect, we can always ask a native speaker
to read over it. If you start working on the javadoc, please create a

Posted by Kevin Moulart <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Scott C. Cote" <sc...@gmail.com>.
ok

Posted by Andrew Musselman <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Scott C. Cote" <sc...@gmail.com>.
I’ll make it work.

Posted by Sebastian Schelter <ss...@apache.org>.
Hi Scott,

Posted by "Scott C. Cote" <sc...@gmail.com>.
I have created issue https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAHOUT-1461

Will upload shell scripts and suggested replacement text later tonight ….

SCott

Posted by Sebastian Schelter <ss...@apache.org>.
Hi Scott,

Posted by "Scott C. Cote" <sc...@gmail.com>.