Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by Mark Lundquist <ml...@comcast.net> on 2006/04/01 21:41:09 UTC

Proxying and resource paths

Hi,

I'm contracted to a client (a small web design/hosting company) who
wants to offer a hosted CMS service based (at my recommendation :-) on
Lenya.  I'm having a little trouble getting the proxy setup to work.
Here's the deal...

We'll run a separate instance of Lenya for each client of the CMS
service. Most clients will only have a single Lenya publication (their
company or organization web site).  If we ever have a case for multiple
publications in a single Lenya instance, we'll design a proxy scheme for
however that client wants to structure the URI space of their web
presence.  But for virtually all clients, the public URI space (i.e.,
proxied to the live Lenya area) will contain no Lenya-specific
structure, it will just be:

	http://FooBarCo.com

(or whatever).  The admin and authoring areas live here:

	https://woof.wrinkledog.com/foobarco/...

e.g.,

	https://woof.wrinkledog.com/foobarco/main/authoring/index.html

That way, my client doesn't have a procure a separate SSL certificate
for each of his CMS customers, since all the Lenya instances are proxied
under the same FQHN.

I need to use Lenya 1.2 until 1.4 gets actually released.

So... I've got my Apache2 configuration and
.../pubs/main/config/publication.xml proxy stuff in Lenya set up as best
I can.  The authoring/admin side of things works great.  However — on
the live side, pages display and links are correct, but images, CSS etc.
don't work.  It seems to me that this is because we have a
LinkRewritingTransformer that rewrites a/@href, but it doesn't also
transform:

	img/@src
	link/@href
	script/@src

and for Flash,

	object/param[@name='movie']/@value
	object/embed/@src

I've been doing Cocoon for years, but I'm still pretty new to Lenya... I
figure I must just be missing something, what is it?

I guess I can kludge up some more proxying RewriteRules in Apache to
make these work, but... it just feels wrong :-/

Ideas?

Thx-a-lot,
Mark

Re: Proxying and resource paths

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Mark Lundquist wrote:

> Michael Wechner wrote:
>
>> Mark Lundquist wrote:
>>

>>> I guess I can kludge up some more proxying RewriteRules in Apache to
>>> make these work, but... it just feels wrong :-/
>>

>> yes, it does, but I think it's the easiest for the moment.
>>

> It helps now that I've figured out what's going on, 'cause at least I
> understand it :-)... it turns out that to make my proxying scheme work
> right, I ended up having to change the Jetty configuration so that
> instead of running in the root context, Lenya runs in a context whose
> name matches the first path component in the URI space for the CMS
> face of the application, so e.g. for
>
>     https://woof.wrinkledog.com/SomeClient/
>
> the context name is "SomeClient".  It was that change that broke the
> paths that depend on {$root} in the XSLT templates, because these also
> depend on the "context prefix".
>
> I've got the Apache config hacked up so that everything works now.

maybe you can add your stuff to the Wiki ;-)

http://wiki.apache.org/lenya/

thanks

Michi

> Thanks,
> —ml—

Michael Wechner
+41 44 272 91 61

Re: Proxying and resource paths

Posted by Mark Lundquist <ml...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Mark Lundquist wrote:

> I guess I can kludge up some more proxying RewriteRules in Apache to
> make these work, but... it just feels wrong :-/

yes, it does, but I think it's the easiest for the moment.

Michi

> Ideas?
>
> Thx-a-lot,
> Mark