Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Eric Evans <ee...@acunu.com> on 2012/05/14 17:11:35 UTC

Re: FW: Cassandra Range Queries Help Needed

Hi Ansar,

You'll have much better luck sending questions like this to the user
mailing list (added).

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 5:42 AM, Ansar Rafique <an...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am Apache Cassandra user and currently I am working on 3 nodes cluster in
> a single data center.I am using the random partitioner for data partitioner.
> Actually what I am trying to achieve is to have the range queries using
> Random partioner. I am stick and not getting any help to do it.
>
> I created my own column family using Column Familes as Indexes. It is
> written in page 14 of Apache Cassandra Documentation Book (April 17,
> 2012) by Datastax
>

> Although having the ability to do range scans on rows sounds like a
> desirable feature of ordered partitioners, there are
>
> ways to achieve the same functionality using column family indexes. Most
> applications can be designed with a data
>
> model that supports ordered queries as slices over a set of columns rather
> than range scans over a set of rows.
>

> I would like to know that how we can achieve the same functionality (Range
> Queries in Random Partitioner) using column family trick. Any simple example
> would be highly appreciated. Please email me back at ansark6@hotmail.com

I read that as advice to reexamine your data model so that queries are
performed on rows (slices), and not for them (range queries).

--
Eric Evans
Acunu | http://www.acunu.com | @acunu