Posted to dev@trafficserver.apache.org by Bill Zeng <bi...@gmail.com> on 2014/10/29 02:10:44 UTC

lockfile permission denied

Hi all,

I have a question about the privileges of the processes traffic_cop,
traffic_manager, and traffic_server. I started ATS with:
  $ ./trafficserver start
It reported permission denied error:
$ ./trafficserver start
./trafficserver: line 186:
/path-to-ats/var/log/trafficserver/traffic_server.stdout: Permission denied

The permission of the file seems to be root:
$ ls -l /path-to-ats/var/log/trafficserver/traffic_server.stdout
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Oct 28 17:55
/path-to-ats/var/log/trafficserver/traffic_server.stdout

It is root-owned. If I run it with sudo, the permission seems fine:
$ sudo ./trafficserver start
Starting Apache Traffic Server:                            [  OK  ]

But traffic_manager and traffic_server are not run:
$ ps aux | grep traffic_
root      9243  0.0  0.0  75636  2992 ?        Ssl  18:05   0:00
/path-to-ats/bin/traffic_cop
bzeng     9339  0.0  0.0 103248   864 pts/14   S+   18:08   0:00 grep
traffic_

The ATS is freshly checked out from upstream.

Thanks in advance.
Bill

Re: lockfile permission denied

Posted by Cynthia Gu <cz...@linkedin.com.INVALID>.
Bill,

Can you check if there is any port opened by traffic_server with lsof?

Cynthia

Posted by Bill Zeng <bi...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

Thanks for the help! The records.config was out of sync after I did a
re-install. Everything looks good now.

Bill

Posted by Jared Ocker <oc...@ohsu.edu>.

Posted by Bill Zeng <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Alan M. Carroll" <am...@network-geographics.com>.
Checking my various installs, all of this seems normal. The question I would have for Bill is how traffic_server.stdout became owned by root - chown is a privileged operation so if the script wasn't running as root, how did that get done?

The trafficserver script should always be run as root. For Bill's case, I suspect some other problem. My standard technique in that case is to check the other logs (such as error.log, diags.log) and then try "sudo gdb traffic_manager" and "sudo gdb traffic_server" to see if you have any library problems.

Posted by Cynthia Gu <cz...@linkedin.com.INVALID>.