Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "Brass, Phil (ISS Atlanta)" <PB...@iss.net> on 2003/03/21 21:41:57 UTC

Removing Server: header

Hi, I recently patched my debian apache server source to add a new
ServerToken value, ServerToken=Hide, which will remove the Server, Date,
and Last-Modified headers (to make server identification a little more
difficult (yes I know this is bad for proxies, if that's a big deal we
can just have it remove the Server: header, that's probably all most
people would expect anyway)).  I had to patch the server instead of
using mod_headers because these headers get added *after* the last
module is called (or so it appears).

I made my changes to debian's apache_1.3.27-0.1_i386 source package.

Anyhow, I'm curious if the httpd project would be interested in a change
like this, and if so what the best way to submit these patches would be?
Sorry to be such a n00b...

TIA,

Phil Brass
Senior Security Consultant
Internet Security Systems

Re: Removing Server: header

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.
Brass, Phil (ISS Atlanta) wrote:

> Hi, I recently patched my debian apache server source to add a new
> ServerToken value, ServerToken=Hide, which will remove the Server, Date,
> and Last-Modified headers (to make server identification a little more
> difficult (yes I know this is bad for proxies, if that's a big deal we
> can just have it remove the Server: header, that's probably all most
> people would expect anyway)).

I'm curious - what benefit would be had by stripping Date and Last-Modified?

Does Apache not already have an override for the Server value?

Regards,
Graham
minfrin@sharp.fm		"There's a moon
					over Bourbon Street