Posted to dev@camel.apache.org by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com> on 2011/12/02 16:29:12 UTC

[DISCUSS] - Align Camel karaf commands as Karaf is doing

Hi

On the Karaf @dev they are talking about changing the naming of the commands.
http://karaf.922171.n3.nabble.com/PROPOSAL-New-Karaf-commands-norm-td3430815.html

eg
camel:list-routes  --> camel:route-list

I think we should do the same for the Camel karaf commands.

--
Claus Ibsen
-----------------

Re: [DISCUSS] - Align Camel karaf commands as Karaf is doing

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
The number of characters per command is the same.
Using tab can save you from typing most characters in both styles.

So I think the focus on resources really makes the difference and I
think it is more natural to think in resources for humans than in commands.

Christian

--
Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Open Source Architect

Re: [DISCUSS] - Align Camel karaf commands as Karaf is doing

Posted by Charles Moulliard <cm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Christian Müller <ch...@gmail.com>.
The same for me.

Best,
Christian

Sent from a mobile device

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi

--
Claus Ibsen
-----------------

Posted by Ioannis Canellos <io...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
Hi Claus,

karaf uses namings like:
bundle:list
service:list

These are resource oriented what means that the scheme bundle references
a resource type.

camel:route-list
is not resource oriented. camel references a framwork.

camel-route:list
would be more similar to karaf. Of course we can not simply write
route:list as this would clash to soon with other frameworks.

Christian

--

Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Open Source Architect

Re: [DISCUSS] - Align Camel karaf commands as Karaf is doing

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi

<ch...@die-schneider.net> wrote:

> I really like the idea of having camel:route and then simply call list or
> start or stop.
>
> We can even do that without the sub shells already by naming the commands
> slightly different.
>
> Instead
> camel:route-list
> camel:context-list
>
> I propose to have:
> camel-route:list
> camel-context:list
>
> This would be more similar to the later sub shell commands.

Interesting perspective.

However I like that everything related to camel is camel:xxxx-yyyy
Then you would know that camel: is the standard Camel shell plugin we provide.

Isn't the Karaf using that notation as well, so its bundle:xxx-yyy,
system:xxx-yyy etc

> Christian
>

> Am 05.12.2011 09:54, schrieb James Strachan:
>
>> On 2 December 2011 15:29, Claus Ibsen<cl...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> On the Karaf @dev they are talking about changing the naming of the
>>> commands.
>>>
>>> http://karaf.922171.n3.nabble.com/PROPOSAL-New-Karaf-commands-norm-td3430815.html
>>>
>>> eg
>>> camel:list-routes  -->  camel:route-list
>>
>> Or we could even go with route:list so when there's sub shells we could do
>>
>> shell camel:route
>> list
>> start foo
>> stop bar
>>
>> etc
>>

> --
>
> Christian Schneider
> http://www.liquid-reality.de
>
> Open Source Architect

Claus Ibsen
-----------------

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.

--

Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Open Source Architect

Re: [DISCUSS] - Align Camel karaf commands as Karaf is doing

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@fusesource.com>.
On 2 December 2011 15:29, Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> On the Karaf @dev they are talking about changing the naming of the commands.
> http://karaf.922171.n3.nabble.com/PROPOSAL-New-Karaf-commands-norm-td3430815.html
>
> eg
> camel:list-routes  --> camel:route-list

Or we could even go with route:list so when there's sub shells we could do

shell camel:route
list
start foo
stop bar

etc

--
James
-------
FuseSource
Email: james@fusesource.com
Web: http://fusesource.com
Twitter: jstrachan, fusenews
Blog: http://macstrac.blogspot.com/

Open Source Integration and Messaging

Re: [DISCUSS] - Align Camel karaf commands as Karaf is doing

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@fusesource.com>.
+1

--
James
-------

Posted by Ioannis Canellos <io...@gmail.com>.
+1

--
*Ioannis Canellos*
*

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Claus,

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Thanks Claus.

I'm working on it today ;)

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: [DISCUSS] - Align Camel karaf commands as Karaf is doing

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Posted by Johan Edstrom <se...@gmail.com>.
+1