Posted to user@vcl.apache.org by Anu Chirinos <an...@fiu.edu> on 2012/03/28 17:12:28 UTC

Vcl and vmware HA

Hello,

Is anybody dealing with VCL and ESX Vmotion underneath? Has anybody done any research or work on this?

Anu Chirinos
UTS - Operations and Enterprise Systems
Florida International University
Office (305) 348-0275 Cell (786) 712-9025

Re: Vcl and vmware HA

Posted by Aaron Peeler <aa...@ncsu.edu>.
Not is this upcoming release. With VMware HA, it's easily handled by
vcenter if you have the correct licenses...

With the libvirt module - this release is going to support kvm.
Libvirt also supports vmware, but that would need to be added in later
if necessary. The current work that Aaron Coburn and Andy Kurth have
done with the VMWare prov module are fairly robust, so I'm not sure if
the libvirt-vmware part is needed.

On the kvm side, there would need to be HA logic built into the
libvirt-kvm module. Or there would need to be a work done to talk to
RHEV - Red Hat's equivalent to vcenter, but for kvm hypervisors.

Others may also have other thoughts on this. It's ideal (probably
needed) as we get into more server based provisioning to have HA
functionality for the kvm, it would be good to start designing this
part out and possibly target a later release 2.3.x .

Aaron

Aaron

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 1:36 PM, Anu Chirinos <an...@fiu.edu> wrote:
> Great, what about libvert version, is that HA conscious?
>
> Anu
>

> On 3/28/12 1:09 PM, "Aaron Peeler" <fa...@ncsu.edu> wrote:
>
>> Hi Anu,
>>
>> Yes it will likely be mid-end of April now for the 2.3 release. End of
>> March timeline I proposed in Jan/Feb was too optimistic on my part.
>>
>> Aaron
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 11:53 AM, Anu Chirinos <an...@fiu.edu> wrote:
>>> Wonderful,, so this is in the 2.3 version coming on April?
>>>
>>> Anu
>>>

>>> On 3/28/12 11:26 AM, "Aaron Coburn" <ac...@amherst.edu> wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes, we are using vMotion with our ESX hosts.
>>>
>>> It involved writing a custom provisioning module which is slated to be part
>>> of the next VCL release.
>>>
>>> The short version is that all of the ESX hosts are put into a single vCenter
>>> host, and the VCL communicates only with that single host (even though there
>>> may be many physical hosts). Then when VMware vMotions a machine, the VCL
>>> neither knows nor cares that this happened.
>>>
>>> Aaron
>>>

>>> --
>>> Aaron Coburn
>>> Systems Administrator and Programmer
>>> Academic Technology Services, Amherst College
>>> acoburn@amherst.edu
>>>

>>> On Mar 28, 2012, at 11:12 AM, Anu Chirinos wrote:
>>>
>>> Vcl and vmware HA
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Is anybody dealing with VCL and ESX Vmotion underneath? Has anybody done any
>>> research or work on this?
>>>

>>> Anu Chirinos
>>> UTS - Operations and Enterprise Systems
>>> Florida International University
>>> Office (305) 348-0275 Cell (786) 712-9025

--
Aaron Peeler
Program Manager
Virtual Computing Lab
NC State University

Re: Wndows pagefile.sys settings

Posted by Dmitri Chebotarov <dc...@gmu.edu>.
James,

After changing settings for reg.exe and re-capturing the Win7 image I was able to get smaller pagefile.sys file for new reservations. Thank you for the help.

--
Dmitri Chebotarov
Virtual Computing Lab Systems Engineer, TSD - Ent Servers & Messaging

Posted by Dmitri Chebotarov <dc...@gmu.edu>.
James,

Posted by James O'Dell <jo...@fullerton.edu>.

What I believe is happening is during the image creation VCL disables
the pagefile, reboots, and then removes the pagefile. This makes for
a smaller image file.

Then, during the image provisioning, the pagefile is re-enabled using
the default settings (which is pagefile = ram size).

If you look at the 'Windows.pm' there is a sub function called
"enable_pagefile". There is a "reg.exe" call used by cygwin that
looks like it's re-enabling the pagefile to the default settings.

Maybe you could zero out the function, so that it doesn't make the call
to cygwin. Or, maybe, modify the "reg.exe" string to limit the
registry's setting so that the new pagefile is just a couple Gigs.

In the past, I've found registry settings by dumping the registry to a
text file, making the changes, and then dumping the registry again.
You should be able to find the setting by comparing the files
differences.

Then roll your own "reg.exe" string.. (or I guess you could just Google
the setting, lol)

Hope this helps,

__Jim

On 3/28/2012 2:34 PM, Dmitri Chebotarov wrote:
> James
>
> Yes, I have changed the setting for pagefile. But it resets to default after I capture image and make reservation.
>
> I've also commented disable_pagefile() in Windows.pm (and restarted vcld), but it doesn't help. New image still has default pagefile setting.
>
> Is there another place in the code where I could stop VCL from changing pagefile settings?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Dmitri Chebotarov
> Virtual Computing Lab Systems Engineer, TSD - Ent Servers & Messaging
> 223 Aquia Building, Ffx, MSN: 1B5
> Phone: (703) 993-6175
> Fax: (703) 993-3404
>

> On Wednesday, March 28, 2012 at 16:19 , James O'Dell wrote:
>
> Have you tried disabling/reducing the page file before making the image?

> This should make a registry change, that hopefully prevents Windows from
> "Automatically manage paging file size for all drives"
>
> "Automatically" typically makes the page file the same as the available ram.
>
> __Jim

- --

Posted by Dmitri Chebotarov <dc...@gmu.edu>.
James

Posted by James O'Dell <jo...@fullerton.edu>.

Have you tried disabling/reducing the page file before making the image?

> Control Panel
>
> System and Security
>
> System
>
> Click to open System.
>
> In the left pane, click Advanced system settings.  If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
>
> On the Advanced tab, under Performance, click Settings.
>
> Click the Advanced tab, and then, under Virtual memory, click Change.
>
> Clear the Automatically manage paging file size for all drives check box.
>
> Under Drive [Volume Label], click the drive that contains the paging file you want to change.
>
> Click Custom size, type a new size in megabytes in the Initial size (MB) or Maximum size (MB) box, click Set, and then click OK.

This should make a registry change, that hopefully prevents Windows from
"Automatically manage paging file size for all drives"

"Automatically" typically makes the page file the same as the available ram.

__Jim

On 3/28/2012 12:57 PM, Dmitri Chebotarov wrote:
> Hi, All
>
> I'm using Windows 7 Ent image with VCL/xCAT on a blade with 48GB of memory.
> Before capturing the image I set page file to 2GB, once capture is done, the new reservation ends up with 48GB page file.
> This leave little space left to install new applications.
>
> I found that Windows.pm calls disable_pagefile() on line 474 during image capture.
> Would it be OK to disable this function?
>
> Thank you.
>
> --
> Dmitri Chebotarov
> Virtual Computing Lab Systems Engineer, TSD - Ent Servers & Messaging
> 223 Aquia Building, Ffx, MSN: 1B5
> Phone: (703) 993-6175
> Fax: (703) 993-3404

- --