Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by rb...@covalent.net on 2001/02/16 22:43:25 UTC

On 2.0 again.

We are back up on 2.0.  I think we were down for about thirty seconds
while I made the move over.  Brian, is there a chance you could look into
why we moved back to 1.3 at 00:00:01 last night?  I am available on my
cell phone if you have any questions about what I did to turn it on/off.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131

Re: On 2.0 again.

Posted by Greg Ames <gr...@raleigh.ibm.com>.
Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Feb 2001 rbb@covalent.net wrote:
> > We are back up on 2.0.
>
> Might as well leave it running!
>
> Would be nice to find a good summary of the threading issues we could
> forward to the freebsd-stable list, unless it's just "general
> instability".

The biggest problem I know about is the loop when we just enable
threads.  I can't tell you exactly what Apache is doing to trigger this,
but it's easy to recreate with log replay.

Here's what Jeff found by attaching gdb to one of the 3 looping
processes.  I did post this before but maybe you didn't notice it.

[...many "Reading symbols from blah" deleted]

Reading symbols from /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1...done.
0x2813f1e2 in _thread_sigframe_restore () from /usr/lib/libc_r.so.4
(gdb)

Greg

Re: On 2.0 again.

Posted by rb...@covalent.net.
> > We are back up on 2.0.  I think we were down for about thirty seconds
> > while I made the move over.  Brian, is there a chance you could look into
> > why we moved back to 1.3 at 00:00:01 last night?  I am available on my
> > cell phone if you have any questions about what I did to turn it on/off.
>
> I edited /usr/local/adm/logrotate to call /usr/local/apache2/bin/apachectl
> graceful instead of /usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl, and at midnight it
> rotated the log as usual.  Cool!
>
> I will be online tomorrow until the evening, but offline Sunday.  Might as
> well leave it running!  Sorry I killed the wrong one last night, I
> presumed you had taken it down again intentionally.

I'm on "vacation" through Tuesday, but I'll be on e-mail once in a while
this weekend.  If there are any REALLY important questions, I'll reply.

> Would be nice to find a good summary of the threading issues we could
> forward to the freebsd-stable list, unless it's just "general
> instability".

It's general instability.  The current list looks something like:

Sendfile just doesn't work at all
threads go off and loop forever, and we don't know where.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131

Re: On 2.0 again.

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@collab.net>.
On Fri, 16 Feb 2001 rbb@covalent.net wrote:
> We are back up on 2.0.  I think we were down for about thirty seconds
> while I made the move over.  Brian, is there a chance you could look into
> why we moved back to 1.3 at 00:00:01 last night?  I am available on my
> cell phone if you have any questions about what I did to turn it on/off.

I edited /usr/local/adm/logrotate to call /usr/local/apache2/bin/apachectl
graceful instead of /usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl, and at midnight it
rotated the log as usual.  Cool!

I will be online tomorrow until the evening, but offline Sunday.  Might as
well leave it running!  Sorry I killed the wrong one last night, I
presumed you had taken it down again intentionally.

Would be nice to find a good summary of the threading issues we could
forward to the freebsd-stable list, unless it's just "general
instability".

	Brian