Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Mduduzi Gwala <md...@yahoo.com> on 2002/09/25 17:52:56 UTC

IndexWriter constructor

Hi all

I have been given an assignment to search a web
application database using lucene. This is my first
lucene exercise.

The problem is according to the following IndexWriter
constructor:

  /** Constructs an IndexWriter for the index in
<code>d</code>.  Text will be
    analyzed with <code>a</code>.  If
<code>create</code> is true, then a new,
    empty index will be created in <code>d</code>,
replacing the index already
    there, if any. */
  public IndexWriter(Directory d, Analyzer a, final
boolean create)
       throws IOException {

If create is true then a new empty index will be
created, but when I run a search the first time it
works fine but the second time I get an error saying
something like: java.IOEXception: couldn't delete
_d.fi. It seems to get arround this problem one needs
to restart the server. Can anyone help me on how I can
perform any number of searches with or without the
above constructor without having to restart the
server.

Thanks
Mduduzi