Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Dave Feltenberger <da...@gmail.com> on 2007/08/31 18:12:38 UTC

Maven Plugins for Eclipse

All,

Do you have recommendations on a good Maven2 plugin for Eclipse?  I just
tried M2 Eclipse from Codehaus (http://m2eclipse.codehaus.org) and it seems
a little klunky - my Eclipse projects have build errors (they didn't prior
to the plugin, and compiling using the poms from the command line works
fine) and trouble staying synchronized.  Are there others you've tried and
like?  I actually prefer using External Launchers and/or the command line,
but I'm trying to sell a Maven upgrade to co-workers who are very reliant on
and set in their ways in Eclipse, so I need to make the transition as
painless for them as possible.

Thanks.

Dave

Re: Maven Plugins for Eclipse

Posted by Alexander Sack <pi...@gmail.com>.
Dave,

What I do for some large projects is use the Codehaus plugin to resolve
dependencies which it does alright (it has its bugs no doubt but I find it
usable) and actually use the Ant view to execute Maven.  This allows me to
essentially do similar things as an External Launch configuration and use
Ant in some places where Maven may not be the right fit.  I can do command
line builds as well as Eclipse builds and they BOTH execute using the same
build tools.  I also can configure profiles within Maven by referencing them
from my Ant build targets.

Anyway its just a thought,

-aps

PS My biggest complaint with Maven/IDE integration is how to handle
dependencies within a project.  The Codehaus pluging I THINK has the right
approach in that it needs to read the project's pom file, parse it
correctly, and update the classpath container variable before doing any
automatic builds.  Btw, startup with the Codehaus plugin is quite annoying.

On 8/31/07, Nicky Sandhu <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:

> We hit the same problem. maven 2 plugin uses maven 2.1 and we prefer using
> hte command line tool.
> You can setup a launch configuration in eclipse which relies on variables
> ${project_loc} and ${maven_bin} which gives the launch the context of the
> current project and maven_bin is user defined to point to the location of
> the maven executable
>
> You can then share these launch configurations by saving them to files. I
> have attached a few that we use. You can add them to any project to your
> workspace and they should be available for all from the external tools
> runner.
> http://www.nabble.com/file/p12432410/maven%2Beclipse-eclipse.launch
> maven+eclipse-eclipse.launch
>
> http://www.nabble.com/file/p12432410/maven%2Bpurge%2Blocal%2Brepository.launch
> maven+purge+local+repository.launch
> http://www.nabble.com/file/p12432410/maven%2Bsite.launch maven+site.launch
> http://www.nabble.com/file/p12432410/maven%2Bdeploy.launch
> maven+deploy.launch
>
> Dave Feltenberger wrote:
> >
> > All,
> >
> > Do you have recommendations on a good Maven2 plugin for Eclipse?  I just
> > tried M2 Eclipse from Codehaus (http://m2eclipse.codehaus.org) and it
> > seems
> > a little klunky - my Eclipse projects have build errors (they didn't
> prior
> > to the plugin, and compiling using the poms from the command line works
> > fine) and trouble staying synchronized.  Are there others you've tried
> and
> > like?  I actually prefer using External Launchers and/or the command
> line,
> > but I'm trying to sell a Maven upgrade to co-workers who are very
> reliant
> > on
> > and set in their ways in Eclipse, so I need to make the transition as
> > painless for them as possible.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Dave

"What lies behind us and what lies in front of us is of little concern to
what lies within us." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Re: Maven Plugins for Eclipse

Posted by Nicky Sandhu <ka...@gmail.com>.