Posted to dev@ariatosca.apache.org by Tal Liron <ta...@gigaspaces.com> on 2017/05/18 17:51:02 UTC

Moving to 100% GitHub

Hi everyone,

ASF now has an option of moving the repository to be 100% hosted on GitHub,
so it won't be a mirror of the ASF repo. I think this could increase our
visibility and make the project seem more welcoming to outside
contributions. Also would make management a bit easier for us.

What do you think? Pros and cons?

--
Tal Liron
Solution Architect

<https://twitter.com/CloudifySource>
<https://www.linkedin.com/groups/8467478>
<https://github.com/cloudify-cosmo>   <https://github.com/cloudify-cosmo>
[image: Azure Webinar]
<http://getcloudify.org/webinars/Azure-plugin-for-cloudify-webinar.html?utm_source=signaturesatori&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=general_signature>

Re: Moving to 100% GitHub

Posted by Tal Liron <ta...@gigaspaces.com>.
Ran, I only heard about this in person from John at ApacheCon -- I have no
links for info.

For me, when I see a mirrored project on GitHub I am worried about
contributing. My first instinct is that it's actually managed elsewhere,
which would require registration and some other kind of red tape. Indeed,
for us it means that a contributor would have to have an Apache ID and
become a committer. I think if it's managed 100% on GitHub this extra step
would not be there and could encourage people to submit simple bug fix PRs.

This is not a big deal at all, but if it's possible I'm thinking -- why not?

On Sun, May 21, 2017 at 6:51 AM, Ran Ziv <ra...@gigaspaces.com> wrote:

> I don't think moving the project to Github and the issue of lack of
> discussions on the mailing list are related - we need to solve the latter
> regardless of the former.
>
> Tal, I'm not sure how exactly it would increase visibility - The mirror is
> as visible as the new repository would be..?
> It could however make things somewhat more convenient to us, although that
> too depends on who's managing the repo - I'm not familiar with this
> 100%-hosted-on-github concept yet.
>
> Tal, care to share some more links / info about this?
>

> On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 8:56 PM, John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org>
> wrote:
>
> > One con I see is that the project already struggles with on list
> > discussions.  We want to open up github usage, but want to make sure that
> > projects are communicating well, so that the source code being maintained
> > on github is more of a convenience.  Until I see more action from
> AriaTosca
> > on this list I would be hesitant to say yes for the project.
> >
> > John
> >
> > On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 1:51 PM Tal Liron <ta...@gigaspaces.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi everyone,
> > >
> > > ASF now has an option of moving the repository to be 100% hosted on
> > GitHub,
> > > so it won't be a mirror of the ASF repo. I think this could increase
> our
> > > visibility and make the project seem more welcoming to outside
> > > contributions. Also would make management a bit easier for us.
> > >
> > > What do you think? Pros and cons?
> > >

> > > --
> > > Tal Liron
> > > Solution Architect
> > > tal@gigaspaces.com | +13123758299 <(312)%20375-8299>
> > > Cloudify | http://getcloudify.org
> > > <
> > > http://getcloudify.org?utm_source=signaturesatori&utm_
> > medium=email&utm_campaign=general_signature
> > > >

> > > <https://twitter.com/CloudifySource>
> > > <https://www.linkedin.com/groups/8467478>
> > > <https://github.com/cloudify-cosmo>   <https://github.com/cloudify-
> cosmo
> > >
> > > [image: Azure Webinar]
> > > <
> > > http://getcloudify.org/webinars/Azure-plugin-for-
> > cloudify-webinar.html?utm_source=signaturesatori&utm_
> > medium=email&utm_campaign=general_signature

--
Tal Liron
Senior Engineer
tal@gigaspaces.com | +1 (773) 828-9339

Re: Moving to 100% GitHub

Posted by Ran Ziv <ra...@gigaspaces.com>.
Tal, I agree with your thinking, although in this case the "red tape" would
remain as any committer would have to get an Apache ID etc. anyway.

John, as Tal has mentioned we do have a website and contribution guide, but
if there's anything you'd like us to improve about them please let us know.

Regarding migrating the website, I unfortunately have no control over it
whatsoever, this is a task Arthur has taken and I hope it'll be done soon.

Re: Moving to 100% GitHub

Posted by Tal Liron <ta...@gigaspaces.com>.

Re: Moving to 100% GitHub

Posted by Suneel Marthi <sm...@apache.org>.