Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Dan Kegel <da...@alumni.caltech.edu> on 1999/05/04 07:00:15 UTC

Re: fix for hybrid server problems.

Dean Gaudet wrote:
> You'll be surprised to hear me bring up an acceptor thread again... but
> I have a reason for returning its existance:  to service static requests.
> Each process will have one "event thread" which runs select on:
>
> - a socket/pipe connected to the parent
> - a socket/pipe used for the response queue
> - all listening sockets/pipes
> - all in-progress static responses (i.e. copy an fd or mmap out to the
>   client)

That should take care of the people (like me) who keep asking "Why can't
Apache be more like thttpd?".   Can we also coax you into
proposing using sendfile() on operating systems that support it?
I'd like Apache to clean IIS's clock on static file benchmarks...
- Dan

Re: fix for hybrid server problems.

Posted by Dan Kegel <da...@alumni.caltech.edu>.
Tony Finch wrote:

> "Brad Fitzpatrick" <br...@bradfitz.com> wrote:
> >> Can we also coax you into proposing using sendfile() on
> >> operating systems that support it?
> >
> >Curious ... Which systems does this include?
>
> At least FreeBSD, Linux, HP-UX.

NT, too.
- Dan

Re: fix for hybrid server problems.

Posted by Tony Finch <do...@dotat.at>.
"Brad Fitzpatrick" <br...@bradfitz.com> wrote:
>> Can we also coax you into proposing using sendfile() on
>> operating systems that support it?
>
>Curious ... Which systems does this include?

At least FreeBSD, Linux, HP-UX.

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch   dot@dotat.at   fanf@demon.net
Arthur: "Oh, that sounds better, have you worked out the controls?"

RE: fix for hybrid server problems.

Posted by Brad Fitzpatrick <br...@bradfitz.com>.
> Can we also coax you into proposing using sendfile() on
> operating systems that support it?

Curious ... Which systems does this include?

> I'd like Apache to clean IIS's clock on static file benchmarks...

:)

- Brad

Re: fix for hybrid server problems.

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.

On Tue, 4 May 1999, Dan Kegel wrote:

> Can we also coax you into
> proposing using sendfile() on operating systems that support it?

I think some versions of sendfile() interact poorly with non-blocking
sockets, so those we couldn't use it.  But otherwise yeah.

Dean