Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> on 2006/05/05 13:03:55 UTC

[VOTE] James 2.3.0a2

I tagged it as build_2_3_0_A2:
http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi?view=rev&rev=400018
and it is the current nightly build.

I have also uploaded it to http://people.apache.org/~bago/james/ for review.

Here is the link to the 2.3.0a2 changes:
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JAMES?report=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.project:roadmap-panel

Stefano

PS: I started the vote because Norman confirmed that the possible
show-stopper [http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JAMES-485] has been
resolved by upgrading his mysql server.

James 2.3.0a2 tests (Was: [VOTE] James 2.3.0a2)

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>> I'm not sure wether we should wait few days or re-start the
>> vote of the patched 2.3.0a2 release I just tagged.
>
> With a but of luck, I can at least test it in my config today.  I have MySQL
> 3.23 deployed.
>
> 	--- Noel

That would be good! I don't have any mysql 3.x deployed anymore.

If you have time to make tests you could try enabling the
"inMemorySizeLimit" option in config.xml and using db (not dbfile)
repositories to see if you can reproduce the
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JAMES-466

If we'll find minor issues with 2.3.0a2 (before or after the release)
we'll branch from the current 2.3.0a2 tag to fix them, otherwise we will
decide wether to branch from there or release a new trunk later.

Stefano

RE: [VOTE] James 2.3.0a2

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Stefano Bagnara wrote:

> We didn't sign 2.3.0a1, so I thought we could have done
> the same for 2.3.0a2.

Sure we did.  I signed the binaries.  I do see that the signing for the src
files was commented out.  Not sure why, so I'll investigate and fix.

Re: [VOTE] James 2.3.0a2

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
We didn't sign 2.3.0a1, so I thought we could have done the same for
2.3.0a2.

Btw I've just retagged and built it, and replaced the files in the link
I posted before (so bad releases are not spreaded).

I'm not sure wether we should wait few days or re-start the vote of the
patched 2.3.0a2 release I just tagged.

Good practice would tell me to wait, but I think that having a tagged
release ready for a vote would increase our chances that people and
other committers will download a test it.

What do you think?

Stefano

RE: [VOTE] James 2.3.0a2

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Stefano Bagnara wrote;

Re: [VOTE] James 2.3.0a2

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
I've found that 2 tests are failing (blame me I did not run tests before
packaging the files for the vote).

I've not seen problems in my current production server using this
release but I'm investigating a problem in the SharedFileInputStream
bundled with Javamail 1.4 that seems to cause the problem.

Any feedback is welcome anyway, but if we confirm that the problem is
javamail 1.4 I'll revert the javamail upgrade commits and resubmit a new
2.3.0a2 release.

Stefano

SharedFileInputStream changes in javamail 1.4 (Was: [VOTE] James 2.3.0a2)

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Just subscribed to the list and posted this.

RE: [VOTE] James 2.3.0a2

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Re: [VOTE] James 2.3.0a2

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Javamail 1.4 SharedFileInputStream works differently from Javamail 1.3.2
SharedFileInputStream.

The fact is:

a = new SharedFileInputStream(file);
b = a.newStream();
a.close();
b.read();

works in javamail 1.3.2 but not in 1.4
1.4 mandates that when you close the "main stream" it force the closing
of all "newStream" generated streams. Previously it was keeping a
reference counter and only closed the main sharedfile only when all the
generated streams were closed.

Not sure this is the intended behaviour or not, but I'm trying to find a
workaround (keep the main stream opened). I would not want to come back
to javamail 1.3.2 another time!

Btw, I'm working on this...

Stefano

Re: [VOTE] James 2.3.0a2