Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Harmeet Bedi <ha...@kodemuse.com> on 2002/04/02 10:40:59 UTC

Re: the nntp effort on in james server !!!!

Posted by Paul Hammant <ha...@apache.org>.
Harmeet, folks,

>- How stable is the POP-SMTP backend ? There have been a few emails about
>this. When I looked at the Avalon File Repository, I was a bit nervous. I
>think it is based on serialization, and that approach has some problems,

The Avalon repository is file based and uses serialization.  There are
problems with that strategy.

Choices:

Avalon's FtpServer (Rana CC'd in for this) has a user repsository and
the overlap between FTP, POP3 & NNTP user requirements are massive.  You
should all bang heads and make an uberUserRepository that will be useful
for all of those types of needs, and possibly a few forthcoming
(telnet/SSH into a Phoenix VM).

At a layer lower (the actual mechanics of storage), there is an up and
coming project in commons called simple store.  (Gerhard and Juozas CC'd
in for this) It is beanlike and has multiple implementations.  It has
been used before in Phoenix VM with Enterprise Object Broker (example3)
, but not as a block or wrapped in a block...

Lastly, maybe also see if Brian Burton's ex commercial NNTP server
http://www.burton-computer.com/clnews.html can provide inspiration.
 Maybe even have another attempt at persuading him to port or donate (to
Avalon and James respectively).

Regards,

- Paul H

RE: the nntp effort on in james server !!!!

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@thought.co.uk>.
fair point, and just the kind of task I'm best at...

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@thought.co.uk>.

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@thought.co.uk>.
> - I still don't know what and if there is a gain in
> functionality. I haven't
> heard anyone want a db Backend for newsgroup mail. Why build, if
> there is no
> known advantage ? On the other hand if someone has a real world need that
> would be motivation.

> - The NNTP repository is a lot simpler. Minimal coupling.
>
> What do you think ?

Frankly thats a good enough argument for defering it.

> Here is a proposal for your vote:
> Have a separate distribution for NNTP Server.

-1 with the following comment.. I agree with your reasoning and I will
change my vote to +1 if we can, instead, provide a single distribution of
James, and an alternative set of configurations which will allow it to run
as NNTP only. (perhaps with a command line installer with options to install
NNTP, MAIL or BOTH)

I would not like to see James fragment into several seperate products, I'd
be happier if we focused this effort on making it simple to enable and
disable blocks.

Posted by Harmeet Bedi <ha...@kodemuse.com>.
From: "Harmeet Bedi" <ha...@kodemuse.com>

From: "Danny Angus" <da...@thought.co.uk>
> I think NNTP should use the same avalon framework as POP & SMTP (although
> I'm not volunteering to do this, so I guess my vote isn't really fair..)
> this would mean that it could use file or DB, and share configuration
> information with other blocks.

I think it is a given that having the same mechanism for NNTP is a clean and
good thing to do, but here are some advantages for keeping the NNTP
repository separate.
- Faster than the repository for POP & SMTP.
- Streamed. Entire message content is never in memory.
- It is easier to separte NNTP from the other parts. Folks may want to use
NNTP Server but may want to use another mail servers. Such a user would not
need to worry about non-nntp configuration.
- I still don't know what and if there is a gain in functionality. I haven't
heard anyone want a db Backend for newsgroup mail. Why build, if there is no
known advantage ? On the other hand if someone has a real world need that
would be motivation.
- How stable is the POP-SMTP backend ? There have been a few emails about
this. When I looked at the Avalon File Repository, I was a bit nervous. I
think it is based on serialization, and that approach has some problems,
like say schema evolution, speed etc. If SMTP-POP3 repository is not
completly safe, maybe we should continue with NNTP repository for some time
and then revisit.
- The NNTP repository is a lot simpler. Minimal coupling.

What do you think ?

Here is a proposal for your vote:
Have a separate distribution for NNTP Server. All other parts will be

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@thought.co.uk>.
> I think this is a good question, what do you all think the nntp vision
> should be ?

> - Making the backend more flexible. Maybe map to SMPT/POP3
> backend store on
> the other hand I feel NNTP is nicely decoupled.

I think NNTP should use the same avalon framework as POP & SMTP (although
I'm not volunteering to do this, so I guess my vote isn't really fair..)
this would mean that it could use file or DB, and share configuration
information with other blocks.

> - Having Mailet/Matcher/LinearProcessor facility.

+1 this would allow people to write NNTP "gateways" to mail or other
protocols.

> - NNTP sycnhronization with master-slave nntp servers. I was thinking of
> doing this by writing a Avalon Block.

+1

d.