Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com> on 2004/02/29 23:09:55 UTC

[all] Which website entity?

As I started looking at updating some of the websites, I realised that we
have two competing approaches:
- incl_nav.xml
- menus.dtd

I have been updating everything to use the former, but I suspect others may
be updating towards the latter. Have we agreed on which to use? If so, can
we mark the other as deprecated in the file ;-)

Stephen

Re: [all] Which website entity?

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.
Yes, right now the direction we've been taking is to include the common
navigation using the following Entity Reference strategy:

<!DOCTYPE project [
<!ENTITY commons-nav SYSTEM "../../commons-build/incl_nav.xml">
]>
<project name="Math">
   <title>Math</title>
   <organizationLogo href="/images/jakarta-logo-blue.gif">
      Jakarta
   </organizationLogo>

     &commons-nav;
</project>

I think that incl_nav.xml and navigation.vm are basically the same and
we should remove one of them.

Betwixt and various others are doing the same similar strategy using a
different set of files:

<!DOCTYPE org.apache.commons.menus SYSTEM
'../../xdocs/stylesheets/menus/org-apache-commons-menus.dtd'>
<project name="Betwixt">

   <title>Betwixt</title>
   <organizationLogo
href="/images/jakarta-logo-blue.gif">Jakarta</organizationLogo>
     <links>
       <item name="Jakarta Commons"
             href="http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/"/>
     </links>

     &about-menu;

     &information-menu;
     &community-menu;
     &translations-menu;

</project>

This should seriously be consolidated into "one" and only "one" approach
for generating navigation across the sites.

I think the method should be a transparent as possible for the
underlying sites as well, with having multiple includes from the dtd in
the project navigation.xml level, theres too much room for individual
projects to manipulate what the commons navigation looks like, it should
look the same for all projects, with this in mind I think there should
be only one include, like is currently being done with the incl_navi.xml
approach. Plus the whole dtd thing is somewhat of an overkill for a
simple entity include.

2cents,
Mark

Henri Yandell wrote:

> Heh. Looks like Dirk created/moved the menus.dtd the other day.
>
> Any reason why we should be using menus.dtd Dirk?
>
> Betwixt, Pool, Launcher and DBCP are using it.
>
> Hen
>
> On Sun, 29 Feb 2004, Stephen Colebourne wrote:
>

>>As I started looking at updating some of the websites, I realised that we
>>have two competing approaches:
>>- incl_nav.xml
>>- menus.dtd
>>
>>I have been updating everything to use the former, but I suspect others may
>>be updating towards the latter. Have we agreed on which to use? If so, can
>>we mark the other as deprecated in the file ;-)
>>
>>Stephen

Mark Diggory
Software Developer
Harvard MIT Data Center
http://www.hmdc.harvard.edu

Re: [all] Which website entity?

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.
I did alot of tweeking this morning, I changed over the navigation.xml
files we change to use your dtd inclusion, I added another entity called
common-menus that just has all the ones we want in place, all commons
projects have the commons-site.jsl referenced in thier
project.properties as:

maven.xdoc.jsl=../commons-build/commons-site.jsl

You may have already been building with it unknowingly, there a re very
small differences between it and Mavens default site.jsl, as I took a
copy of it and hardcoded the css styles and fixed soem of the menu
ordering code (which was broken).

-Mark

Dirk Verbeeck wrote:
> As long as the result is the same I don't really care much about exactly
> how it is done, I'll going to experiment with the commons-site.jsl
> solution more this weekend.
>
> -- Dirk
>
> Mark R. Diggory wrote:
>
>> As a plausable solution, rebuilding the
>> commons-build/xdocs/navigation.xml and commons-build/navi_incl.xml
>> document to draw its contents from the menu "ent" files. Set the types
>> of the "about menu" to "header" and the rest to "footer". These
>> attributes are used in the commons-site.jsl to separate the rendering
>> of the navigation menus as so:
>>
>> <jsl:applyTemplates select="$nav/body/menu[@type='header']"/>
>> <jsl:applyTemplates select="$nav/body/menu[not(@type)] |
>> $nav/body/search"/>
>> <jsl:applyTemplates select="$projectNav/body/menu"/>
>> <jsl:applyTemplates select="$nav/body/menu[@type='footer']"/>
>>

>> This means that any menu of type "header" comes before "no type" or
>> search, which comes before the type footer.
>>
>> This means that it doesn't matter the order for which they are added
>> to the navigation.xml as entities and they can even be added to the
>> navigation.xml as one entity and still show up either above or below
>> the various project navigation and menu items added by the project.
>>
>> -Mark

Mark Diggory
Software Developer
Harvard MIT Data Center
http://www.hmdc.harvard.edu

Re: [all] Which website entity?

Posted by Dirk Verbeeck <di...@pandora.be>.

Re: [all] Which website entity?

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.

--
Mark Diggory
Software Developer

Re: [all] Which website entity?

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com>.
> > For example the "View CVS" and "Download" menus are usefull on the
> > main site but on the DBCP site they aren't. There you have a specific
> >  downloads page:
IMO, the downloads page of a project is additional. This will become more
obvious when we get a different background colour for the project part of
the left nav.

FYI, at present, the incl_nav is used by the majority. In commons, only
launcher, dbcp and pool use the menus.dtd file. (and 5 of the sandbox)

The menus.dtd has one key advantage in that it allows a menu item to be
inserted above the project section. My vote is for a solution that keeps the
entity including simple, especially as the files are duplicated between
commons and sandbox.

Stephen

From: "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>

Re: [all] Which website entity?