Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Cagdas Gerede <ca...@gmail.com> on 2008/03/13 21:50:56 UTC

Fault Tolerance: Inquiry for approaches to solve single point of failure when name node fails

I have a question. As we know, the name node forms a single point of failure.
In a production environment, I imagine a name node would run in a data
center. If that data center
fails, how would you a put a new name node in place in another data
center that can take over without minimum interruption?

I was wondering if anyone has any experience/ideas/comments on this.

Thanks

-Cagdas

Re: Fault Tolerance: Inquiry for approaches to solve single point of failure when name node fails

Posted by Eddie C <ed...@gmail.com>.
According to the documentation you can instruct the name node to write
data to multiple places in the configuration file.

I would think writing the data to two separate directly attached disk
arrays. Attach two servers to both arrays have the second server as a
cold or hot spare. Using some type of clustering software linux-ha
that is how I would handle it.

Posted by Ted Dunning <td...@veoh.com>.
Using HDFS to replicate data is problematic because the map-reduce programs
will tend to send data across the link  between the data centers (and a
cluster can generate a LOT of traffic).

My guess is that you want two clusters with a scripted mirroring capability.

Posted by Cagdas Gerede <ca...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <td...@veoh.com>.
If your data center fails, then you probably have to worry more about how to
get your data.  The namenode state is far smaller and easier to move around
and, besides, if you replicate the data elsewhere, you probably already have
a namenode next to the replicated data.

Namenode failure (without the data center failure) IS a real scenario that
needs to be addressed if losing your cluster is a terribly bad thing.  There
are numerous provisions for that, but there isn't yet a truly HA solution.