Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Cristian Ciobanu <cr...@istream.today> on 2016/03/16 15:01:52 UTC

Windows 7 Template

Hello,

     I tried to crate a Windows 7 Template for ACS 4.5.2 on VMware, everything is ok till first reboot of VM.

     1. Install Windows 7
     2. install VMware tools ( reboot )
     3. Install CloudInstanceManager
     4. Enable local user account Administrator and set password.
     5. Create template
     6. Deploy from template
     7. Log in on VM using generated password ( works )
     8. Reboot  VM, no password on VM, able to log in without password.

   Did someone tested the same thing ?

Regards,
Cristian

Re: Windows 7 Template

Posted by Todd Pigram <to...@toddpigram.com>.
How about old fashion sysprep with AutoUnattened.xml? As most of my
customers are fully managed, I use that process for all w2012r2, w2k8r2, &
win7 templates. I actually create them on standalone HVs, then upload them
as templates into ACS (old CCP).

Use Windows System Image maker, out of the windows deployment toolkit, to
create the AutoUnattened.xml files. Place that in the
%WINDIR%\system32\sysprep dir. when ready run this

Sysprep /generalize /oobe /shutdown
/unattend:c:\windows\system32\sysprep\Autounattend.xml. then create the
template.

You can even put the Chef client, puppet client, chocolatey or boxstarter
on the images if need be.

The images that I use have Chef client and chocolatey installed. These are
vanilla builds. I do everything thing on them with Chef after i spin them
up. (I install the choclatey apps with Chef from an in house nuget server
and chocolatey gallery).

just my $0.02

--

Todd Pigram
http://about.me/ToddPigram

PGP Public Key
<http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x96B7B0F0C55933BB>

RE: Windows 7 Template

Posted by Cristian Ciobanu <cr...@istream.today>.
Hello,

     I figured out how to fix :

     1. Install Windows
     2. install VMware tools ( reboot )
     3. Install CloudInstanceManager
     4. Enable local user account Administrator and set password.
After step 4 i added a script to remove the Cloud.com (uninstall) after first logon ( in this case you can not reset the password anymore but you have generated password and works after restart/shutdown, also you can change if needed from Windows. )

     5. Create template
     6. Deploy from template
     7. Log in on VM using generated password ( works )
     8. Reboot  VM, no password on VM, able to log in without password.  ( fixed with removal script )

RE: Windows 7 Template