Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Julian Reschke <ju...@gmx.de> on 2005/01/19 10:42:50 UTC

Expect: 100-continue

Hi,

Looking at <http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=4812000>:

--
DESCRIPTION OF THE PROBLEM :
The servlet API provides no means of controlling the 100- continue
response when the user agent expects it, and doesn't specify when it is
or is not sent by the servlet container. It should do so.  One
suggestion to handle this would be:

1. Add a method to HttpServletRequest called acceptRequest or some such,
which causes a 100-continue to be sent. acceptRequest would have no
effect if the user agent doesn't expect a 100-continue.

2. Specify that 100-continue will not be sent until one of the following
happens to the request object:

    a. acceptRequest() is called
    b. getInputStream() or getReader() is called
    c. For the POST method, getParameter() or similar is called.

This would be compatible with the current specification (though not with
current tomcat, which always sends 100- continue immediately), but
provide the ability for better control.
--

Does Tomcat5 (or 4, for that matter) actually implement one of these
options (2b&c, for instance)?

Best regards, Julian

Re: Expect: 100-continue

Posted by Julian Reschke <ju...@gmx.de>.
Remy Maucherat wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 13:54:36 +0100, Julian Reschke
> <ju...@gmx.de> wrote:
>
>>Remy Maucherat wrote on tomcat-dev....:
>> > Tomcat always automatically sends a 100-continue when going into the
>> > filter pipeline if an expectation is requested.
>> >
>> > This should be on tomcat-user, BTW.
>>
>>So are there any plans to improve this, for instance by implementing
>>options 2b&c?
>

> It's more complex, and the benefits are not that huge, so I'm not very
> motivated for doing it ;)

I'm really interested about potential issues with that attempt to
implement it, so is there any record (mailing list) of a discussion, or
could you please give a very short summary of potential issues?

Thanks,

Julian

Re: Expect: 100-continue

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@gmail.com>.
<ju...@gmx.de> wrote:
> Remy Maucherat wrote on tomcat-dev....:
>  > Tomcat always automatically sends a 100-continue when going into the
>  > filter pipeline if an expectation is requested.
>  >
>  > This should be on tomcat-user, BTW.
>
> So are there any plans to improve this, for instance by implementing
> options 2b&c?

It's more complex, and the benefits are not that huge, so I'm not very
motivated for doing it ;)

--
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Rémy Maucherat

Re: Expect: 100-continue

Posted by Julian Reschke <ju...@gmx.de>.

Re: Expect: 100-continue

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
Julian Reschke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Looking at <http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=4812000>:
>
> --
> DESCRIPTION OF THE PROBLEM :
> The servlet API provides no means of controlling the 100- continue
> response when the user agent expects it, and doesn't specify when it is
> or is not sent by the servlet container. It should do so.  One
> suggestion to handle this would be:
>
> 1. Add a method to HttpServletRequest called acceptRequest or some such,
> which causes a 100-continue to be sent. acceptRequest would have no
> effect if the user agent doesn't expect a 100-continue.
>
> 2. Specify that 100-continue will not be sent until one of the following
> happens to the request object:
>
>    a. acceptRequest() is called
>    b. getInputStream() or getReader() is called
>    c. For the POST method, getParameter() or similar is called.
>
> This would be compatible with the current specification (though not with
> current tomcat, which always sends 100- continue immediately), but
> provide the ability for better control.
> --
>
> Does Tomcat5 (or 4, for that matter) actually implement one of these
> options (2b&c, for instance)?

Tomcat always automatically sends a 100-continue when going into the
filter pipeline if an expectation is requested.

This should be on tomcat-user, BTW.

Rémy