Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Christopher Sean Hilton <ch...@vindaloo.com> on 2009/04/17 18:03:00 UTC

[users@httpd] How does Mod_ssl decide what to use: of SSL or TLS?

Does anyone know the mechanism that mod_ssl uses to chose the
connection protocol? Assuming the client will accept SSLv3 as well as
any TLS, How does mod_ssl make this decision? Or, is it up to openssl?
I've read the mod_ssl code and it's not obvious to me. Do the TCP
window size have anything to do with it?

-- Chris

--
Chris Hilton                                   chris-at-vindaloo-dot-com

Re: [users@httpd] How does Mod_ssl decide what to use: of SSL or TLS?

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.
On 17.04.09 12:03, Christopher Sean Hilton wrote:
> Does anyone know the mechanism that mod_ssl uses to chose the connection
> protocol? Assuming the client will accept SSLv3 as well as any TLS, How
> does mod_ssl make this decision? Or, is it up to openssl? I've read the
> mod_ssl code and it's not obvious to me.

I think that server announces what protocols it supports and has allowed,
then client decides which to prefer. However I'm not SSL guru, search for
SSL and protocols description to see which will apply.

> Do the TCP window size have anything to do with it?

no
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759