Posted to ivy-dev@incubator.apache.org by easyproglife <ea...@gmail.com> on 2006/11/16 18:09:34 UTC

New XML syntax suggestion for configured dependencies

Hi.

I want to share you with my thought about ivy.xml syntax:

A powerful feature is the configuration feature and configuration mappings.
I find this feature very useful for my tasks.

The problem is that from version to version it becomes more code-based and
less human readable. I am talking about the '*', '@', '->', '#' and other
codes inside 'conf' attribute.

I wondered if we can use the power of XML to suggest an
"elements-and-attributes" approach where 'conf' attribute like: "compile,
runtime -> @; schema -> wsdl" for example would be written like (just a
suggestion):

<dependency ....>
  <conf>
    <from>compile</from>
    <from>runtime</from>
    <to conf="same"/>
  </conf>
  <conf>
    <from>schema</from>
    <to>wsdl</to>
  </conf>
</dependency>

Yes, it is longer, I can see that, but the benefits are:
1. It is pure XML approach - great for parsers, XSLTs, etc.
2. It is more human readable. No need to remember all the 'conf' codes and
tokens. Good for newbies.

Of course you can keep the old syntax as well, the same way you did with
'organization' and 'organisation' for example. Every one could choose the
way he prefer.

What do you think?

easyproglife