Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Christopher Snow <sn...@snowconsulting.co.uk> on 2010/02/24 10:49:56 UTC

proposal - merge applications folder into framework

Of course I'm only joking, but the reality is there are dependencies
from the framework on applications (see OFBIZ-3500).

However, unless these dependencies are removed, we may as well merge the
applications into the framework?

Cheers,

Chris

Re: proposal - merge applications folder into framework

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Yes, for sure there is a real interest of the community about that topic (and not from today)
And I'm sure that if we coordinate our efforts sufficiently longer we will get somewhere.
But as ever in the ASF as long as nobody really decide to get further nothing happens.
By taking the lead on this it seems that you (Chris) are following the Apache Way :o)
Also, I don't expect to see this happens/finishes before the next release.

My 2cts

Jacques

From: "Christopher Snow" <sn...@snowconsulting.co.uk>

Posted by Christopher Snow <sn...@snowconsulting.co.uk>.
Apology accepted!

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Chris,

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
On Feb 24, 2010, at 11:05 AM, Christopher Snow wrote:

> Btw, I am not complaining, I am trying to get some interest in deciding the path to take to fix this issue.

Yes, understood, and I think that there is a general agreement in the community that the separation of the framework from the applications would be a good thing for the project.

Jacopo

Re: proposal - merge applications folder into framework

Posted by Christopher Snow <sn...@snowconsulting.co.uk>.
Thanks for your kind words Jacopo.  I have spent about two days so far
working on this problem already, and intend spending more.  If you look
at OFBIZ-3500, you will see that I have also spent time documenting my
findings.

As a non committer, I don't like to work on stuff unless I get the
backing and interest of the commiters.  Some other stuff I have
suggested in the past has been met with strong opposition or lethargy.
I'm sure glad I didn't put a lot of time into those areas.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.