Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by James Kosin <ja...@gmail.com> on 2011/01/02 01:58:03 UTC

[OTQ] Apache License File

Everyone,

I know I may be opening a can of worms here in even mentioning this, but
here it goes...

Is there any reason why the license file is only available as .text or
.html, styled as an Apache page?

I've seen various sites handle this differently...
Below is a small sample.

The following have the license HTML site:
http://subversion.apache.org/
http://httpd.apache.org/
http://qpid.apache.org/
http://sling.apache.org/site/index.html

The following have a link to the HTML license directly:
http://ant.apache.org/

The following have a link to the TEXT license directly:
http://pivot.apache.org/legal.html

The following have integrated the license into a separate page (with or
without a link to the HTML or TEXT version):
http://commons.apache.org/
http://forrest.apache.org/index.html
http://james.apache.org/
http://openjpa.apache.org/
http://servicemix.apache.org/home.html

===

I guess what I'm really asking is what is the preferred method, or
doesn't it matter as long as the details are there.

Also, since many of the sites may be transitioning to CMS using mdtext
format for the web-page, could I suggest Apache make available a .mdtext
version available to help with site integration.  i.e.:  click on the
license link and get a different look and feel from the site... or click
on the link and get a license that is a bit more seamlessly integrated
and provides a good look.

===

Again, I'm just throwing this out for discussion.

Thanks,
James

Re: [OTQ] Apache License File

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 12:58 AM, James Kosin <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Everyone,
>
> I know I may be opening a can of worms here in even mentioning this, but
> here it goes...
>
> Is there any reason why the license file is only available as .text or
> .html, styled as an Apache page?
>
> I've seen various sites handle this differently...
> Below is a small sample.
>
> The following have the license HTML site:
> http://subversion.apache.org/
> http://httpd.apache.org/
> http://qpid.apache.org/
> http://sling.apache.org/site/index.html
>
> The following have a link to the HTML license directly:
> http://ant.apache.org/
>
> The following have a link to the TEXT license directly:
> http://pivot.apache.org/legal.html
>
> The following have integrated the license into a separate page (with or
> without a link to the HTML or TEXT version):
> http://commons.apache.org/
> http://forrest.apache.org/index.html
> http://james.apache.org/
> http://openjpa.apache.org/
> http://servicemix.apache.org/home.html
>
> ===
>
> I guess what I'm really asking is what is the preferred method, or
> doesn't it matter as long as the details are there.

commons.apache.org is generated by maven - you configure a link to the
license and it generates that page for you.

Niall

Re: [OTQ] Apache License File

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <se...@apache.org>.
Hi James,

> Is there any reason why the license file is only available as .text or
> .html, styled as an Apache page?
>
> I guess what I'm really asking is what is the preferred method, or
> doesn't it matter as long as the details are there.

The new branding requirements [1] states:
    "License" should link to: http://www.apache.org/licenses/

So this is the preferred method and all projects should change the
link within the next months.

Kind Regards,
Stefan

[1] http://apache.org/foundation/marks/pmcs.html#navigation