Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de> on 2003/02/05 14:08:10 UTC

Moving CVS Repositories [was: Should we move mailing list names]

*if* we decide to move the mailing list names we should also
think about moving the cvs repositories, I guess.

Some months ago we decided to rename (someday) our xml-cocoon2
repository to xml-cocoon and rename the (old) xml-cocoon to
xml-cocoon1 for obvious reasons.
Now with cocoon as a top level project, we might want to
remove the "xml-" as well.

I think, if we change both at the same time it's the least pain
for all, users and developers.

What do you think?

Carsten

Carsten Ziegeler
Open Source Group, S&N AG

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.
> Now with cocoon as a top level project, we might want to
> remove the "xml-" as well.

Makes sense, +1 for me.

-Bertrand

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Stephan Michels wrote, On 05/02/2003 14.14:
> On Wed, 5 Feb 2003, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>

>>*if* we decide to move the mailing list names we should also
>>think about moving the cvs repositories, I guess.
>>
>>Some months ago we decided to rename (someday) our xml-cocoon2
>>repository to xml-cocoon and rename the (old) xml-cocoon to
>>xml-cocoon1 for obvious reasons.
>>Now with cocoon as a top level project, we might want to
>>remove the "xml-" as well.
>>
>>I think, if we change both at the same time it's the least pain
>>for all, users and developers.
>>
>>What do you think?
>>
>>Carsten
>

> BTW, how about an extra block repository similar to avalon
>
> cocoon-framework
> cocoon-blocks

Cocoon is not a framework, it's an implementation. So the first of the
two would simply be "cocoon".

As for the "cocoon-blocks" one, I don't see the real need of it /yet/.
I'm not very fond of creating new CVS repositories, for recent-history
reasons ;-) , but conceptually it makes sense. The fact is: do we need a
separate repository for this separation? Separate repositories usually
become separate communities somewhat. Is this the right time to do this
split? Honestly I'm not sure, but I would wait for a couple of
microsteps at least before venturing in a split.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
Stephan Michels wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Feb 2003, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>
> > *if* we decide to move the mailing list names we should also
> > think about moving the cvs repositories, I guess.
> >
> > Some months ago we decided to rename (someday) our xml-cocoon2
> > repository to xml-cocoon and rename the (old) xml-cocoon to
> > xml-cocoon1 for obvious reasons.
> > Now with cocoon as a top level project, we might want to
> > remove the "xml-" as well.
> >
> > I think, if we change both at the same time it's the least pain
> > for all, users and developers.
> >
> > What do you think?
> >
> > Carsten
>
> BTW, how about an extra block repository similar to avalon
>
> cocoon-framework
> cocoon-blocks

Yes, why not. But we should *first* do the rename and can then
think safely about creating new repositories.

Carsten

Posted by Stephan Michels <st...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 5 Feb 2003, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> *if* we decide to move the mailing list names we should also
> think about moving the cvs repositories, I guess.
>
> Some months ago we decided to rename (someday) our xml-cocoon2
> repository to xml-cocoon and rename the (old) xml-cocoon to
> xml-cocoon1 for obvious reasons.
> Now with cocoon as a top level project, we might want to
> remove the "xml-" as well.
>
> I think, if we change both at the same time it's the least pain
> for all, users and developers.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Carsten

BTW, how about an extra block repository similar to avalon

cocoon-framework
cocoon-blocks

?

Stephan Michels.