Posted to dev@openwhisk.apache.org by Martin Henke <ma...@web.de> on 2019/07/03 14:29:22 UTC

Re: A plan to (re) implement OpenWhisk on top of Knative

Michele,

FYI: Sugandha and myself published a Medium blog article which describes to build Nodejs10 images using Tekton and run it on Knative
(based on the work from Priti).
It might be on interest in the context of your Actionloop related Knative work.

Link:
https://medium.com/@sugandha.agrawal18/build-knative-service-with-tekton-and-apache-openwhisk-node-js-runtime-f660bbc3a11e

Regards,
Martin

Posted by Sugandha Agrawal <su...@gmail.com>.
Cool!!!

Regards
Sugandha Agrawal

Re: Re: Re: A plan to (re) implement OpenWhisk on top of Knative

Posted by Matt Rutkowski <mr...@us.ibm.com>.
FYI, Priti and I spoke earlier this week about exploring the addition of
new "build" command for wskdeploy that could utilize Tekton.

Kind regards,
Matt

From:   "Michele Sciabarra" <mi...@sciabarra.com>
To:     dev@openwhisk.apache.org
Date:   07/03/2019 12:06 PM
Subject:        [EXTERNAL] Re:  Re: A plan to (re) implement OpenWhisk on
top of Knative

Well.... it  is actually a bit more complex than this.

If we use Tekton for building, it is Tekton the standard, so as long as we
define a standard for input and output, we delegate to a tekton build the
preparation  of an image ready for being served by Knative  Serving,

However the action loop based runtimes rely on a "compilation" script
already written in python that performs the steps, so all I need to do is
to adapt the compilation to the Tekton standard. This is something I
already did, at lest for Go, modifying the actionloop codee and I am now
trying to complete the pipeline.

The way I did for Go was not getting rid of the "init" step but providing
an "autoinit" step that happens at runtime start, executing a binary
executable already embedded in the image and produced by the compilation
done by the runtime itself.

All of this is more complex to say  than to do so I hope I can show
something soon... hopefully pretty interesting.

---
Michele Sciabarra
 michele@sciabarra.com

PS the book "learning Apache OpenWhisk" is now on printing!

From:   Martin Henke <ma...@web.de>
To:     dev@openwhisk.apache.org
Date:   07/03/2019 09:29 AM
Subject:        [EXTERNAL] Re: A plan to (re) implement OpenWhisk on top

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__medium.com_-40sugandha.agrawal18_build-2Dknative-2Dservice-2Dwith-2Dtekton-2Dand-2Dapache-2Dopenwhisk-2Dnode-2Djs-2Druntime-2Df660bbc3a11e&d=DwIFaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=6zQLM7Gc0Sv1iwayKOKa4_SFxRIxS478q2gZlAJj4Zw&m=bl7bwPaoiSE6fi0fyVHNC9bNUnh1ZUUlfl3lwUZbcH0&s=IQBGPfSTPiAjKhIlsqKDpAjoJBNd7By1YnjxOIx2454&e=

From:   Martin Henke <ma...@web.de>
To:     dev@openwhisk.apache.org
Date:   07/03/2019 09:29 AM

Posted by Martin Henke <ma...@web.de>.
Hi Matt,

I fully agree with your thoughts. We should definitely (stepwise) aim for an unified model for all runtimes.

Regards,
Martin

From:   Martin Henke <ma...@web.de>
To:     dev@openwhisk.apache.org