Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by Daniel Barclay <Da...@digitalfocus.com> on 2000/06/09 01:23:46 UTC

How is OutputFormat's output method used?

Where is the output method of an OutputFormat object used?

I:

- create an OutputFormat fmt,

- call fmt.setMethodName with some output method name

- get a serializer factory f by calling
  SerializerFactory.getSerializerFactory(String)
  with a second output method name

- get a serializer by calling f.makeSerializer( fmt ), and

- serialize some DOM data.

Changing the method name of the OutputFormat doesn't seem to make
any difference.

Is OutputFormat's output method supposed to affect the serializer
created using that output format?  Or is it meant to be used
to call getSerializerFactory?

Thanks,

Daniel
--
Daniel Barclay
Digital Focus

Re: How is OutputFormat's output method used?

Posted by Arkin <ar...@exoffice.com>.
> Changing the method name of the OutputFormat doesn't seem to make
> any difference.
>
> Is OutputFormat's output method supposed to affect the serializer
> created using that output format?  Or is it meant to be used
> to call getSerializerFactory?

The latter. Typically an XSLT processor or similar engine can hold the
output method in OutputFormat and use that to obtain a suitable
serializer. Or it can just ask for serializer by name, or just create
the instance avoiding the factory (which I assume most people are :-).

arkin

Assaf Arkin                                           www.exoffice.com
CTO, Exoffice Technologies, Inc.                        www.exolab.org