Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Martin Rode <ma...@programmfabrik.de> on 2005/08/04 16:44:23 UTC

performance: gcj, sun, ibm ?

hello all,

lucene is already pretty fast, but i was wondering if you guys have
experience with using gcj (on linux). how much faster is it for
indexing? personally i have best performance with java-ibm, at least
under linux.

it would be interesting to hear how your experiences are.

thanks in advance,
martin

Re: performance: gcj, sun, ibm ?

Posted by Paul Libbrecht <pa...@activemath.org>.
I heard recently that the Wikipedia team actually switched off of using
Java lucene because of Java licenses (which we know isn't that perfect)
and went on to .NET mono (or something like this) where an
implementation of Lucene has been fine and stable, more stable than
using gcc, it seems.

paul

Re: performance: gcj, sun, ibm ?

Posted by Daniel Naber <lu...@danielnaber.de>.
On Thursday 04 August 2005 16:46, John Haxby wrote:

> Lucene, compiled with gcj I believe, is part of Fedora Core 4.

Sounds interesting, but what exactly does it mean? Is it still a jar file
that can be used from Java or is it a shared library that can only be used
from C(++)?

Regards
 Daniel

--
http://www.danielnaber.de

Re: performance: gcj, sun, ibm ?

Posted by John Haxby <jc...@scalix.com>.
Martin Rode wrote:

> hello all,
>
> lucene is already pretty fast, but i was wondering if you guys have
> experience with using gcj (on linux). how much faster is it for
> indexing? personally i have best performance with java-ibm, at least
> under linux.
>
> it would be interesting to hear how your experiences are.

Lucene, compiled with gcj I believe, is part of Fedora Core 4.

jch