Posted to rivet-dev@tcl.apache.org by "Mikhail T." <mi...@aldan.algebra.com> on 2007/01/23 16:17:27 UTC

The state of Rivet?

Hi, David, others!

I'd like to make a port of Rivet to FreeBSD (I'm currently maintaining the
mod_dtcl port). The most recent release of the software appears stuck at
0.5.0, which is not compiling against Apache-2.2.

It appears, that the 0.7.0 was released over a year ago, but there are no
sources -- only binaries (for Windows).

What is the current state? How far off is a 2.2-compatible release?

Is the project abandoned/withering and we should all look at websh instead?

Thanks!

	-mi

Re: The state of Rivet?

Posted by David Welton <da...@dedasys.com>.
> But lately I thought about it, especially the restructuring issue. And I
> thought it could be considered to put a new version of Rivet on top of
> mod_tcl. Mod_tcl does bridge between Apache and Tcl, and it works for
> Apache 2 as well. It also works on windows - some time ago I spent an
> afternoon to port and compile it with Visual studio for Apache 2.2.
> Maintaining mod_tcl and adapting it for new Apache versions is easy,
> just because mod_tcl is very small and easy in terms of functionality.
> It's basically a low level binding for the Apache API - not less and not
> more.

A long time ago, that was sort of my idea for the future of the
Apache/Tcl world...

> So what Rivet essentially does is parsing the Tcl code in .rvt files and
> I wonder if this could be implemented in pure Tcl on top of mod_tcl?

Mostly.

> be affected. Also, the big picture could be that it is possible to run
> Rivet on top of tclhttpd or AOLServer.....

That's one thing I think I have some personal responsibily for
screwing up.  We should have done more in the Tcl/Web world to
integrate all these different things into at least a basic platform,
because having such a wide variety of different things is just
confusing and disconcerting for people.

In any case, yeah, I'm basically not interested in doing much work
with Rivet beyond an advisory role.  Rails has been far, far more
productive for me because there is so much out there that I can just
take and use, without having to build and maintain it myself.

--
David N. Welton
 - http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/

Linux, Open Source Consulting
 - http://www.dedasys.com/

Re: The state of Rivet?

Posted by Kristoffer Lawson <se...@fishpool.com>.
On 24 Jan 2007, at 15:02, David Zolli wrote:

> But does it really matter that much? Even if I was the only one to
> use a good tool, I'll keep using it whatever others think of it.

To some extent it does matter. The more users and developers, the
more code out there and the less we have to do ourselves and thus the
more productive we become and more bugs are fixed etc. etc. The more
visibility Tcl has, the more chances it has of becoming popular.

Will Tcl ever be the #1 programming language in the world? Who knows.
However, right now I firmly believe it is very underrated. The myths
you tend to hear about Tcl are sometimes incredible and totally
false. Someone has been rather good at spreading anti-propaganda on
Tcl, which is a real shame.

            /  http://www.fishpool.com/~setok/

Re: The state of Rivet?

Posted by David Zolli <kr...@kroc.tk>.
Le 23 janv. 07 à 23:18, David Welton a écrit :

> When is the last time any of the core guys went to speak at
> an open source conference, or wrote an article or "blog" or
> anything else to prove that the language still exists?

At least Jeff Hobbs at Fosdem (and you were with me to listen him).
But I must admit that could be better.

kroc@kroc.tk
http://www.kroc.tk

Re: The state of Rivet?

Posted by David Welton <da...@apache.org>.
On 2/7/07, Colman Reilly <ca...@colmanandsam.org> wrote:
> I presume that patches and bug fixes would still be accepted? It
> works pretty well as it is ...

Yes, but what's worrisome is that no one is stepping up to help do
that.  You're correct that it doesn't really need that much fiddling
as things stand now.

> The big problem is the Apache 2.0 port, correct? I've forgotten what
> the huge issue with that is?

It's a different architecture.  It would probably be ok if we didn't
bother with the threaded models, but doing those would be harder.

Re: The state of Rivet?

Posted by Colman Reilly <ca...@colmanandsam.org>.
I presume that patches and bug fixes would still be accepted? It
works pretty well as it is ...

The big problem is the Apache 2.0 port, correct? I've forgotten what
the huge issue with that is?

Colman

Re: The state of Rivet?

Posted by Rob Sciuk <ro...@controlq.com>.

Re: The state of Rivet?

Re: The state of Rivet?

Posted by "GoMp@tcl.no" <jo...@gmail.com>.
I know 'puts stdout "Hello world"' and a loop or two. Can I help?

Re: The state of Rivet?

Posted by Kristoffer Lawson <se...@fishpool.com>.

Re: The state of Rivet?

Posted by Damon Courtney <da...@tclhome.com>.
>> The elephant in that room is garbage collection, as I mentioned on
>> tcl-core.  I want my objects deleted automatically.
>
> I would like that too, but unfortunately this is far from trivial in
> Tcl. It may not even be possible in a reasonable sense. Laddered
> string would help a lot to do something about it and there was that
> variable trick mentioned on the Wiki. Apart from that, you would need
> to break Tcl to make it happen (which, I guess, is what Hecl is about).

    Yes, but in a web-based environment, how much garbage collection do
you really need?!  The interpreter is going to disappear as soon as the
webpage is sent!

Damon

Re: The state of Rivet?

Posted by Kristoffer Lawson <se...@fishpool.com>.

Re: The state of Rivet?

Posted by David Welton <da...@gmail.com>.

David Zolli writes:

> At least Jeff Hobbs at Fosdem (and you were with me to listen him).
> But I must admit that could be better.

He gave a talk about the state of Tcl, which is most definitely not
something that's going to get a non-Tcl person excited.  I think Hecl
or Jim have, in some ways, better chances of doing something "big"
than Tcl does at this point (although I haven't even had much time for
Hecl lately:-( ).

> But does it really matter that much? Even if I was the only one to
> use a good tool, I'll keep using it whatever others think of it.

Yes, but it's the extras, as someone else said, that start to weigh
you down.  RoR has a huge set of plugins that do all kinds of useful
things.  Also... I kind of like Ruby.  It's not Tcl, but it's not Java
or PHP, either.  As long as those were the competition, no way was I
going to abbandon Tcl, but Ruby isn't half bad, and does some things
well that Tcl isn't good at (and vice versa), like OO, and, I have to
admit after years of Tcl, having some syntax can be nice at times:-)

In any case, though... I *am* still committed to helping out with
Rivet here and there, but if other people want to see anything happen
with it, they are going to have to step up and work on it.

Re: The state of Rivet?

Posted by Kristoffer Lawson <se...@fishpool.com>.

RE: The state of Rivet?

Posted by "Hicks, Robert" <ro...@uscg.mil>.

Re: The state of Rivet?

Posted by Damon Courtney <da...@tclhome.com>.

RE: The state of Rivet?

Posted by "Hicks, Robert" <ro...@uscg.mil>.
Oh, and marry it to a good AJAX library.

RE: The state of Rivet?

Re: The state of Rivet?

Posted by Kristoffer Lawson <se...@fishpool.com>.
On Tue, 23 Jan 2007, Damon Courtney wrote:

>   Well, there's nothing I can do about that except try and promote it
> myself, and it's hard to keep promoting something that no one seems to care
> about.  I just use it because I love it.

Oh, don't give up on that. Pythoners pushed their language through very
much by the force of promotion alone. I try to never give up an
opportunity to let people know how great Tcl is :-)

                               / http://www.fishpool.com/~setok/

Re: The state of Rivet?

Posted by Damon Courtney <da...@tclhome.com>.
David Welton wrote:
> And even that still isn't really as good as Tcl's.  They don't do
> threads very well either.  But boy do they have momentum, and that's a
> fun change.  Even Tcl, as you say, doesn't get noticed much.  Why
> would it, though... from the core team on down, no one promotes it,
> nor have they for years.  When is the last time any of the core guys
> went to speak at an open source conference, or wrote an article or
> "blog" or anything else to prove that the language still exists?

    Well, there's nothing I can do about that except try and promote it
myself, and it's hard to keep promoting something that no one seems to
care about.  I just use it because I love it.

    Doesn't make me want to use Tcl any less.  The reason I have an
interest in creating a Rails-like framework in Tcl is because I think
Tcl is a better language for the job (with XOTcl included).  I'm not
afraid to learn a new language.  I do think it would be a big task with
not a lot of help though.

Damon

Re: The state of Rivet?

Posted by David Welton <da...@dedasys.com>.

Re: The state of Rivet?

Posted by Damon Courtney <da...@tclhome.com>.

Re: The state of Rivet?

Posted by Kristoffer Lawson <se...@fishpool.com>.
On Tue, 23 Jan 2007, Damon Courtney wrote:

>   We'd never be able to compete with the freight train that is Rails.
> There's too much a push for it.  But, before Rails, Java was king of the
> heap.  The mountain can change at any time and without warning.  Someone just
> has to decide to change it.

I absolutely believe in doing something just because you want to, and you
have ideas how to do with it. My language of choice is Tcl and while I
don't get to use it as much as I'd like to, I do have a lot of interest in
seeing frameworks and software being developed for it. That helps me and
perhaps I can help in my own ways too.

                               / http://www.fishpool.com/~setok/

Re: The state of Rivet?

Posted by Damon Courtney <da...@tclhome.com>.
    Basically, you're right.  The only way to get people to work on a
technology is to get interest in it.  Tcl doesn't have much interest
these days, and Tcl on the web has none, so getting any of this to work
would be a lot of thankless work for a group of people who just have a
desire to do it.

Re: The state of Rivet?

Posted by David Welton <da...@dedasys.com>.

Re: The state of Rivet?

Posted by Damon Courtney <da...@tclhome.com>.
> Having started the port of Rivet 2.0, I have to admit that I don't
> have the time for it as well anymore.
>
> But lately I thought about it, especially the restructuring issue. And
> I thought it could be considered to put a new version of Rivet on top
> of mod_tcl. Mod_tcl does bridge between Apache and Tcl, and it works
> for Apache 2 as well. It also works on windows - some time ago I spent
> an afternoon to port and compile it with Visual studio for Apache 2.2.
> Maintaining mod_tcl and adapting it for new Apache versions is easy,
> just because mod_tcl is very small and easy in terms of functionality.
> It's basically a low level binding for the Apache API - not less and
> not more.
>
> So what Rivet essentially does is parsing the Tcl code in .rvt files
> and I wonder if this could be implemented in pure Tcl on top of
> mod_tcl? The advantage would be to have a low level layer in between
> Rivet and apache. This makes abstraction easier and if something
> changes in Apache, the only work would be to adapt it in mod_tcl.
> Rivet would not be affected. Also, the big picture could be that it is
> possible to run Rivet on top of tclhttpd or AOLServer.....

    At this point, I would love to see Rivet become a web framework that
can sit on top of AOLServer, tclhttpd, or mod_tcl (with the
aforementioned work involved).  I think we all have enough web building
experience to make something really cool that can sit on top of any of
these implementations.  That would be my goal anyway.

    Having looked at Ruby on Rails, I don't see anything so spectacular
that it couldn't be done in Tcl.  Tcl was made for this kind of stuff.
It just takes work and the hands to do it, and those seem to be in
pretty short supply.  In part due to lack of time, and in part due to
lack of interest.

    Unless you have a truly dedicated team to work on a project, they
typically tend to flounder because what is there basically works well
enough, and other people don't have any more time than the people who've
already moved on.

> Just some thoughts for someone who likes to dig into this - I would,
> but I can not guarantee that (resp. when) I'll have the time for it.

    If, and when, the time comes, we'll see what happens. 0-]

Damon

Re: The state of Rivet?

Posted by Eckhard Lehmann <ec...@web.de>.
Damon Courtney schrieb:
>    It's sad, but it won't be the first project to fall by the
> wayside.  Especially not in the Tcl world.  Personally, I'd like to
> see a final 1.0 release put out.  Maybe someday, someone will come
> along and pick it up.  In the meantime, it doesn't mean you can't or
> shouldn't continue using it for production / development code.  It's
> perfectly capable in its current form, and it's easily extended with
> Tcl extensions.
>
>    How much more do you really need from Rivet itself?  It's just a
> bridge between Apache and Tcl.  It just doesn't bridge between Apache
> 2.x and Tcl.  I guess that's the big lacking feature.

Having started the port of Rivet 2.0, I have to admit that I don't have
the time for it as well anymore.

But lately I thought about it, especially the restructuring issue. And I
thought it could be considered to put a new version of Rivet on top of
mod_tcl. Mod_tcl does bridge between Apache and Tcl, and it works for
Apache 2 as well. It also works on windows - some time ago I spent an
afternoon to port and compile it with Visual studio for Apache 2.2.
Maintaining mod_tcl and adapting it for new Apache versions is easy,
just because mod_tcl is very small and easy in terms of functionality.
It's basically a low level binding for the Apache API - not less and not
more.

So what Rivet essentially does is parsing the Tcl code in .rvt files and
I wonder if this could be implemented in pure Tcl on top of mod_tcl? The
advantage would be to have a low level layer in between Rivet and
apache. This makes abstraction easier and if something changes in
Apache, the only work would be to adapt it in mod_tcl. Rivet would not
be affected. Also, the big picture could be that it is possible to run
Rivet on top of tclhttpd or AOLServer.....

Just some thoughts for someone who likes to dig into this - I would, but
I can not guarantee that (resp. when) I'll have the time for it.

Eckhard

Re: The state of Rivet?

Posted by Damon Courtney <da...@tclhome.com>.
    Honestly, as fantastic as I think Rivet is, I myself have started
doing my Tcl development in AOLServer.  At least in experimentation.
Rivet is basically dead without an Apache 2.x port, and I don't see any
developers with the time to volunteer to make this happen.  I certainly
lack the time.

Re: The state of Rivet?

Posted by Rob Sciuk <ro...@controlq.com>.
On Tue, 23 Jan 2007, GoMp@tcl.no wrote:

> Mikhail T. wrote:
>> Hi, David, others!
>>
>> I'd like to make a port of Rivet to FreeBSD (I'm currently maintaining the
>> mod_dtcl port). The most recent release of the software appears stuck at
>> 0.5.0, which is not compiling against Apache-2.2.
>>
>> It appears, that the 0.7.0 was released over a year ago, but there are no
>> sources -- only binaries (for Windows).
>>
>> What is the current state? How far off is a 2.2-compatible release?
>>
>> Is the project abandoned/withering and we should all look at websh instead?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> 	-mi
>
> This would be of interest for me as well. I've bothered this list several
> times because of install problems with Rivet on FreeBSD. A port would make
> the whole issue a lot simpler.
>
> -JC

I recently took the subversion 1.0 release, and using the notes provided
in FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE, compiled against Apache 1.3 using the the following
script to configure:

export AUTOHEADER=autoheader259
export AUTOCONF=autoconf259
export AUTOMAKE=automake19
export ACLOCAL=aclocal19

aclocal19
autoheader259
automake19
autoconf259

./configure --with-tcl=/usr/local/lib --with-tclinclude=/usr/local/include \
 	--with-apxs=/usr/local/sbin/apxs --with-apache=/usr/local/etc/apache

This apache was from the ports (pkg_add -r??), and I had hand built 8.4.14
myself.  I believe I had to pkg_add some of the auto tools as well, but the
build seems to have worked pretty well.

Re: The state of Rivet?

Posted by "GoMp@tcl.no" <go...@tcl.no>.