Posted to user@uima.apache.org by Ahmed Ragheb <RA...@eg.ibm.com> on 2007/11/04 15:32:01 UTC

Can annotators dynamically set the typesystem it will create at runtime

Dear all,

For some application, the annotator needs to create an annotation of a type
that is not defined in the type system. It will be consumed a component
that doesn't need to know the type system in order to process the
annotations. Is it possible that the annotator dynamically set the
typesystem it will create at runtime?

Thanks

Best Regards,
Ahmed

Ahmed M. Ragheb
Software Engineer
Advanced Technologies Group
IBM Cairo Technology Development Center
IBM WTC, Egypt Branch, P.O.B.  166, El-Ahram, Giza, Egypt.
   Tel: DID: (202) 35361048    S/B: (202) 35362536 Ext: 1048
    e-mail: ragheba@eg.ibm.com

"We think in generalities, but we live in details.", Alfred North Whitehead

Re: Can annotators dynamically set the typesystem it will create at runtime

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
When a UIMA application is initialized, all of the components' type
systems are combined / merged into a shared type system that the
application will use.  This type system is fixed at the start of the
run, and cannot be changed.

That being said, it is possible for a particular annotator to create an
instance of a type it doesn't know about until run time, provided that
some component in the application specifies and defines that type.

Does that cover the use case you have in mind?  If not, could you
provide a few more details of the use case?

Thanks. -Marshall

Posted by "LeHouillier, Frank D." <Fr...@gd-ais.com>.
I don't think so.  Much of the discussion on this list has focused on
the strong decoupling of the type system (and other properties in the
analysis engine descriptor) from the analysis engines themselves.  But,
what are the circumstances under which a suitable type couldn't be
described ahead of time?  Even if the type that you think you need to
create "at runtime" is elaborate and somehow generated from something in
the documents that are being processed, it should be still possible to
define some recursively defined annotation type that would cover all the
cases, or am I wrong? In the simplest case, where all the generated
annotations are flat, you could simply create an annotation type that
has a string feature and set the value of the feature on the fly.