Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Giuseppe Ielpa <g....@idtech.it> on 2004/12/01 12:10:45 UTC

JMeter memory management

Dear All,

    I noted that Jmeter manages memory in a bad flavour.
If I try to run a test, after its termination,
the memory is not freed. This is strange, since Jmeter is implemented
in Java. Anyway it is possible that some (global?) objects are not
cleared or deleted after the run, and remain active in a way that the
Garbage collector does not recognize them as garbage.

Has any of you experimented a problem like this

Best

Giuseppe Ielpa

RE: are you still having that problem?

Posted by Giuseppe Ielpa <g....@idtech.it>.
Hi Peter,

    I'm now working with Jmeter at the moment,
Anyway I experienced the memory problem I issued in
Bugzilla sistematically running the test I checked into
Bugzilla as attachment.

About JVM settings, I guess that JVM handles by default
Objects of 10MB size. If you need a larger amount of
memory you should setup the JVM accordingly.

Let me point out that the problem I issued does not
deal with JVM settings. Anyway, I'm wondering whether
A different JVM setting in Jmeter can at least avoid
It to shut down. Is there any config file to set the
Memory parameter?

Thanks

G.

are you still having that problem?

Posted by Peter Lin <wo...@gmail.com>.
hi Giuseppe,

are you still having that problem?

peter

Re: JMeter memory management

Posted by Peter Lin <wo...@gmail.com>.
you're going to have to be more specific about this. In general, what
every memory the JVM allocates will still belong to the VM until
jmeter is restarted. That's normal JVM operation. In the typical case.

memory before test start - 40-45mb ( depends on system and physical ram)
after test - 90mb

Just because the JVM now hold 90mb, it doesn't mean jmeter is actually
leaking anything. I've profiled jmeter extensively during the
development of the distribution graph, tomcat monitor, webservice
sampler and jms sampler.  I can state with confidence the stock http
sampler, webservice sampler and standard listeners do not have a
memory leak.  I typically profile jmeter with optimizeIt and watch
both the heap activity and object count.

normally, most jmeter components implement the clear interface to make
sure objects are cleared, but it is ultimately up to the JVM to
garbage the object and free the heap space.  If you have a particular
test plan that can reproduce the leak, please make a bugzilla entry
and i will gladly look into it.

keep in mind that until you "clear" things, jmeter will continue to
hold on to the collected results. if you're using a custom plugin, it
should implement the clear interface and method. If you're using jms,
I am aware of memory leaks in orion jms client. I discovered a couple
of bugs in orion's jms client in the process of profiling the new jms
sampler in HEAD.

thanks for taking time to post the question, it would really help to
have more details or the exact test plan.

peter

Re: handling large files

Posted by Peter Lin <wo...@gmail.com>.
Are you still experiencing the problem?

peter

Re: handling large files

Posted by Peter Lin <wo...@gmail.com>.
I managed to recompile the servlet from servlets.com and upload 5-25Mb files.

You can see the bugzilla entry for more details.

RE: handling large files

handling large files

Posted by Peter Lin <wo...@gmail.com>.
you know how to get servlet to handle large files. I believe the post
length limit is part of the HTTP spec. I wasn't able to get jason
hunter's upload servlet to take anything large than 10mb.

I've never had to use file loads in the webapps I've worked on, so any
tips you can provide would help. Right now it doesn't look like jmeter
is leaking, but what I do see is the JVM keeps increasing the heap.
When I manually click "garbage collect" in optimizeIt, I do see the
heap clear. when I do clear in jmeter, it doesn't and that is the
correct behavior.

even though jmeter calls gc, it doesn't actually do it, since it's
just a suggestion to the VM to gc. OptimizeIt does it because it hooks
into the vm to do it.

peter