Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Jaroslav Tulach <ja...@gmail.com> on 2019/04/05 04:42:21 UTC

Sharing user dir but not cache dir was: NetBeans UserDir vs. Releases

Dne čtvrtek 4. dubna 2019 14:17:57 CEST, Junichi Yamamoto napsal(a):
> The user directory includes plugins. The cache directory has a splash
> screen. So, probably, problems occur if a user uses NetBeans IDEs of
> different versions, I suppose.

## Problem with Caches

Right. Using two different versions of NetBeans on top of the same cache
directory will effectively disable the caches (or worse, break their
behavior).

## Backward Compatibility

Reusing user directory in newer version directly was always my dream, but we
never got it working properly - hence the QA required the "import of previous
version" behavior to import only what is explicitly requested and tested.

Sharing the user directory is technically possible. Future versions of the
code just have to be able to read older settings. That is achievable if good
coding practices are obeyed.

## Future Compatibility

However using the same directory by older versions is even more tricky. That
requires proper versioning and/or extensible settings format and not many
developers really think about that. Consider reading more in my [notes about
protocols](http://wiki.apidesign.org/wiki/Protocols) and related articles.

## Non Fixable Bug Reports

The problem with sharing the user directory is that we will get bug reports
that aren't reproducible without the actual user directory. E.g. there'll be
bugs nobody will be able to fix. We have been in such situation in the past -
when the upgrade was automatic, a lot of debris got into the new version and
the new code was not really to deal with it.

## Conclusion

If you want to share the user dir, you can. It will work to some extent.

In any case, don't share the cache directory between different versions.
Luckily there is a way to place caches elsewhere than under the user
directory...

Best regards and good luck.
-jt