Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Jeremy Cavanagh <je...@orange.fr> on 2019/02/17 20:16:55 UTC

Newbie, well not so, needs help making first submission to NetBeans Project

Hi Every/Anyone,

This is my first contribution to a project on GitHub, and I am rather
lost as to what I should do.

I have been in touch with Geertjan in the last week to volunteer with
documenting NetBeans, specifically the Java Tutorial and, more
specifically editor-codereference.asciidoc. Well, I don't want to keep
bothering Geertjan he is quite clearly extremely busy.

I have completed my edit and would now like to submit it, but do not
know in plain english exactly what to do.

So far, I have:

* Cloned incubator-netbeans-website to my GitHub account:
JeremyCavanagh, thus I now have: JeremyCavanagh /
incubator-netbeans-website, on GitHub

* I have used the application SmartGit to create a clone on my computer

* I have edited the document, using Atom with Asciidoc plugins for
convenience, editor-codereference.asciidoc and added to my local clone

This is where I am stuck, I am not quite sure how I update my GitHub
clone and then submit my updated document.

Any guidance would be most gratefully received.

Kindest Regards

Jeremy

P.S., I have looked at some pages on the internet, but, they constantly
refer to Git and not GitHub and doing everything via the terminal. Apart
from that it's all new jargon and very confusing.

Re: Newbie, well not so, needs help making first submission to NetBeans Project

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
Dear Jeremy,

First of all, thank you for contributing to the project!

Usually you should do:

 1. Create a branch, the best if that's happen before you commit your
    changes, but do not be scared if you created that afterwards.
 2. Commit your changes on to your branch
 3. Use git push to pus your branch into your own github repository fork
 4. Go to github and you most likely will be offered to create a Pull
    Request from your newly uploaded branch. Create that PR. Probably
    add some reviewers.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.
Hi Jeremy,

Awesome, the tutorial looks much better and now caters to Mac OSX users
(e.g., me) too.

https://netbeans.apache.org/kb/docs/java/editor-codereference.html

Great work,

Gj