Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Patrik Karlström <pa...@trixon.se> on 2020/08/31 13:28:51 UTC

No toolbar in full screen on Linux & Windows

I noticed this when re-enabling the toolbar on a platform application,
the same issue is also in the IDE 12.0 & 12.1.

There is no toolbar when using full screen on Linux & Windows, in addition,
every menu item in View/Toolbars.
On Mac it's as I expect it to be.

Steps to reproduce on Linux & Windows
1. Look at the toolbar
2. Go full screen
3. Where is the toolbar?

The somewhat new and smooth auto-hiding of the menu bar is new to me,
could that be related to the issue at hand?

Can You confirm this?

/Patrik

Re: No toolbar in full screen on Linux & Windows

Posted by Patrik Karlström <pa...@trixon.se>.
Den mån 31 aug. 2020 kl 20:43 skrev Eirik Bakke <eb...@ultorg.com>:

> The auto-hiding of the menu bar was added in 2018:
> https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/852 . But it's unreleated to the
> toolbar behavior here.
>
> Thank you, it was a nice addition.
One thing though, with QuickSearch located in the hidden menu bar I'm not
able to activate it with its shortcut, e.g. ctrl+i.

Perhaps, as long as it disappears in "Show Only Editor" mode, which is a
> separate setting in dependent of Full Screen. In any case I agree it should
> work the same on all platforms.

I have a different view on "Show Only Editor" and "Full screen" than
NetBeans, especially in the context of platform applications.
For me it's about getting rid of unnecessary clutter, where toolbar and
status bar are *necessary*.
In my map application the status bar is displaying coordinates, and that is
still of interest even when viewing the map as "Show Only Editor", the same
goes for the toolbar.
I solved this in the past with a custom toolbar and a custom status bar,
allowing them to be visible all the time.
Last week I began to use the pure netbeans ones with all their benefits,
and the drawbacks of not being visible all the time.

Changing the default behavior after all these years might not be a good
idea so I would like to propose two new system properties:
netbeans.winsys.status_line.always_visible
netbeans.winsys.toolbars.always_visible

that when set to true should do just that.

Any thoughts?

/Patrik

Posted by Eirik Bakke <eb...@ultorg.com>.
The auto-hiding of the menu bar was added in 2018: https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/852 . But it's unreleated to the toolbar behavior here.

You can hide or show the editor toolbar with the "Show Editor Toolbar" option in the View menu, but that does not include the main NetBeans toolbar.

> I guess this was intentional then, and since the Mac has its own handling with regard to full screen, this was never exposed.
Yes, seems intentional.

> IMHO the toolbar should remain visible on every platform.

Perhaps, as long as it disappears in "Show Only Editor" mode, which is a separate setting in dependent of Full Screen. In any case I agree it should work the same on all platforms.

-- Eirik

Posted by Patrik Karlström <pa...@trixon.se>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.

Posted by Patrik Karlström <pa...@trixon.se>.