Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org> on 2007/04/10 23:08:52 UTC

0.8RC1 Failure

0.8RC1 fails to build site-author with errors such as the following in
broken-links.xml:

<link message="Could not find component for role:
[org.apache.cocoon.components.modules.input.InputModule/defaults]
(Key='org.apache.cocoon.components.modules.input.InputModule/defaults')"
uri="procedures/release/How_to_release.html">
     <referrer uri="linkmap.html"/>
</link>

a seed-sample works just fine.

Going to bed - will pick up tomorrow.

Ross

Re: plugins deployment problem (Was: 0.8RC1 Failure)

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Ross Gardler wrote:

>> Updated my local copy with 'svn up' of forrest/site/plugins
>> and listed them. In the table below:
>> Section 1 ... f.a.o/plugins/
>> Section 2 ... f.a.o/plugins/0.8/
>> Section 3 ... f.a.o/plugins/0.7/

> Imagine this scenarion:
>
> Section 3 ... f.a.o/plugins/0.9/

Sorry that should read

Section 4 ...  f.a.o/plugins/0.9/

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 2007-04-11 at 16:42 +0100, Ross Gardler wrote:
> I tried doing the dispatcher plugin, but its site will not build and
> therefore it cannot deploy.

Yeah, my fault, thanks for spotting it. Should be fixed now.

> I did do the themes plugin.

thanks.

salu2

Re: plugins deployment problem (Was: 0.8RC1 Failure)

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Ross Gardler wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> >Ross Gardler wrote:
>
> >>There should be no need to rebuild the release since we are not bundling
> >>plugin sources and only committers can deploy plugins (i.e. those using
> >>SVN head)
> >
> >It is a change to trunk, so the svn tag, which is done
> >later in the process, will be in the wrong place.
> >As long as there are no further vital changes (which will
> >cause an RC2 to be necessary) then the tag can be
> >made to the relevant revision.
>
> I've not updated the tag, I'll leave that for you David as the RM.

The tag is done later, and only if there is a successful
outcome from the testing and the release vote.

-David

Re: plugins deployment problem (Was: 0.8RC1 Failure)

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:

>> Does this sound right to you. If so I'll update the deployment scripts.
>
> Please do it.

Done.

I'm in the process of deploying all the released plugins with this new
script to ensure everything is set up correctly.

I tried doing the dispatcher plugin, but its site will not build and
therefore it cannot deploy. I don't have the time (or inclination) to
fix it so perhaps someone active on dispatcher can look at it.

I did do the themes plugin.

I've not done any other whiteboard plugins.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
CFAS Webmaster wrote:
> Curiosity - I retrieved SVN version 527170 on or around the 10th and was
> able to build the CFAS site correctly.  I just did an 'svn up' which is
> 527470, but nothing changed.
> Did any of the changes along this thread introduce any changes to the
> SVN repository?

No.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
CFAS Webmaster wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> >David Crossley wrote:

> >The ASF has a single public repository for all
> >projects. The revision identifiers are a global
> >sequential number. So some other project would have
> >made a change.
> >
> Understood, I was just checking.

Okay. To keep an eye on what commits have happened
one can subscribe to our svn@ list or browse an archive.
http://forrest.apache.org/mail-lists.html

> >>Thanks, that helps. However, it is the actual
> >>release candidate package that we need testing,
> >>not the SVN trunk.
>
> The results on building the CFAS website are the same with RC1 as
> distributed and SVN trunk, revision 527170.  Everything works as
> expected.  I've been using SVN trunk for building since a little after
> 0.7 was released.
>
> Thanks!
> -Paul

Fantastic. Thanks for your interest.

-David

Re: plugins deployment problem (Was: 0.8RC1 Failure)

Posted by CFAS Webmaster <we...@cfas.org>.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by CFAS Webmaster <we...@cfas.org>.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> > David Crossley wrote:
> > > Found it. Looking in the logs after the first failed
> > > 'forrest run'
> > > site-author/build/webapp/WEB-INF/logs/error.log
> > > showed that there was a problem with
> > > {defaults:bugtracking-url} in the projectInfo plugin
> > > input.xmap
> > >
> > > Comparing the downloaded plugin
> > > $FORREST_HOME/build/plugins/o.a.f...projectInfo/input.xmap
> > > with the trunk plugin input.xmap shows that this is old
> > > and therefore the projectInfo plugin was not
> > > properly publicly deployed.
> > >
> > > I just deployed that plugin again. Now we need
> > > to wait for the automated rsync to publish.
> > >
> > > I will monitor and test when it is ready.
> >
> > The site was updated at about 20 mins past the hour.
> >
> > The plugin was deployed to f.a.o/plugins/
> >
> > However, when i do the site-author forrest run
> > it tries to get the plugin from f.a.o/plugins/0.8/
> > and so it gets an old copy.
> >
> > I am going to manually svn copy the plugin from
> > forrest/site/plugins/o.a.f...projectInfo.zip to
> > forrest/site/plugins/0.8/o.a.f...projectInfo.zip
>
> Yipee ... "Welcome to Apache Forrest".
>
> Now people can get on with testing.

That temporary fix worked. See below.

I am try to determine the state of plugins deployment.
It seems that some are wrong.

Updated my local copy with 'svn up' of forrest/site/plugins
and listed them. In the table below:
Section 1 ... f.a.o/plugins/
Section 2 ... f.a.o/plugins/0.8/
Section 3 ... f.a.o/plugins/0.7/

I tried to compare the dates and presence of plugins
in Section 1 with those in Section 2. (Not looked at 3.)
See the Column #1 and Column #2.

Here is how i think plugins work. Please correct me if wrong.

The term "versioned" means that its name ends in say "-0.2".
They would specify an exact version in their forrest.properties
Otherwise it is "unversioned".

I am only considering "unversioned" at this stage.

For users of 0.8 release, if present in Section 2
then use it, otherwise try Section 1.

An unversioned plugin would only exist in Section 2
if it is not yet taking advantage of newest development.
So it needs to be tied to 0.8 release.

[...]

---------------------------------------

Column #1 ... Date
N = Newer
E = Equal
O = Older
- = Not in the 0.8 directory
* = Old plugin name

Column #2 ... When updated
R = Recent - Updated in last two weeks
O = Old - older than two weeks
A = Ancient - older than four months

Section 1 ... f.a.o/plugins/

*         226356 Mar 31  2005 org.apache.forrest.plugin.htmlArea.zip
O O        32220 Nov 17  2005 org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.Daisy.zip
- R       122652 Apr 10 08:57 org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.OpenOffice.org.zip
N R      2628205 Apr 11 11:53 org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.PhotoGallery.zip
- R        54493 Apr 10 08:57 org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.dtdx.zip
- R        77346 Apr 10 08:57 org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.excel.zip
- R        56573 Apr 10 08:57 org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.feeder.zip
- R        33866 Apr 11 11:53 org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.glossary.zip
E R        34541 Apr 10 08:57 org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.listLocations.zip
- A        29665 Aug  4  2005 org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.logs.zip
E R       123039 Apr 11 12:28 org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.projectInfo.zip
E A        24114 Feb 11  2006 org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.serverStatus.zip
*          52360 Jun 17  2005 org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.simplified-docbook.zip
- R        57230 Apr 10 08:57 org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.simplifiedDocbook.zip
- R       114805 Apr 10 08:57 org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.wiki.zip
- A        31701 Jun 27  2005 org.apache.forrest.plugin.internal.IMSManifest.zip
N A       191135 Sep 13  2006 org.apache.forrest.plugin.internal.dispatcher.zip
*         324850 Aug  4  2005 org.apache.forrest.plugin.internal.view.zip
- A        28646 Jan  4  2005 org.apache.forrest.plugin.logs.zip
- A      1550949 Aug  4  2005 org.apache.forrest.plugin.output.Chart.zip
- R        31399 Apr 10 08:57 org.apache.forrest.plugin.output.POD.zip
- R        60597 Apr 10 08:57 org.apache.forrest.plugin.output.Text.zip
- A       458112 Aug  4  2005 org.apache.forrest.plugin.output.htmlArea.zip
- R        26499 Apr 10 08:57 org.apache.forrest.plugin.output.inputModule.zip
- R        26411 Apr 10 08:57 org.apache.forrest.plugin.output.pdf.zip
O A        23672 Aug  4  2005 org.apache.forrest.plugin.output.voice.zip
*          86065 Apr  8  2005 org.apache.forrest.plugin.view.zip
- A       197862 Jul 27  2006 org.apache.forrest.themes.core.zip
  R         8989 Apr 11 12:28 plugins.xml
  R        10802 Apr 11 11:53 whiteboard-plugins.xml

Section 2 ... f.a.o/plugins/0.8/

           32220 Feb 14  2006 org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.Daisy-0.1-dev.zip
           32220 Apr 10 08:56 org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.Daisy.zip
         2725350 Feb 24  2006 org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.PhotoGallery-0.2.zip
         2725350 Feb 24  2006 org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.PhotoGallery.zip
           27045 Feb 11  2006 org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.listLocations-0.2.zip
           27045 Apr 10 08:56 org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.listLocations.zip
           47540 Feb 14  2006 org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.projectInfo-0.2-dev.zip
          123039 Apr 11 12:41 org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.projectInfo.zip
           24114 Feb 11  2006 org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.serverStatus-0.1.zip
           24114 Apr 10 08:56 org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.serverStatus.zip
          159530 Feb 11  2006 org.apache.forrest.plugin.internal.dispatcher.zip
           93454 Mar  5 18:20 org.apache.forrest.plugin.output.solr-0.1.zip
           25944 Feb 14  2006 org.apache.forrest.plugin.output.voice-0.1-dev.zip
           25944 Feb 14  2006 org.apache.forrest.plugin.output.voice.zip

Section 3 ... f.a.o/plugins/0.7/
          121128 Jun 17  2005 org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.OpenOffice.org-0.1.zip
          121128 Apr 10 08:56 org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.OpenOffice.org.zip
         2729209 Jun 23  2005 org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.PhotoGallery-0.1.zip
         2729209 Apr 10 08:56 org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.PhotoGallery.zip
           51823 Jun 27  2005 org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.dtdx-0.1.zip
           51823 Apr 10 08:56 org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.dtdx.zip
           74613 Apr 10 08:56 org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.excel-0.3.zip
           74613 Apr 10 08:56 org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.excel.zip
           53581 Jun 27  2005 org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.feeder-0.1.zip
           53581 Apr 10 08:56 org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.feeder.zip
           28544 Nov 11  2005 org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.listLocations-0.1.zip
           28544 Apr 10 08:56 org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.listLocations.zip
           29665 Aug  4  2005 org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.logs-0.1-dev.zip
           29665 Apr 10 08:56 org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.logs.zip
           34194 Nov 13  2005 org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.projectInfo-0.1.zip
           34194 Nov 14  2005 org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.projectInfo.zip
           52360 Jun  9  2005 org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.simplified-docbook-0.1.zip
           52484 Jun 17  2005 org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.simplifiedDocbook-0.1.zip
           52484 Apr 10 08:56 org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.simplifiedDocbook.zip
          108486 Jun 27  2005 org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.wiki-0.1.zip
          108486 Apr 10 08:56 org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.wiki.zip
           31701 Jun 27  2005 org.apache.forrest.plugin.internal.IMSManifest-0.1.zip
          324850 Aug  4  2005 org.apache.forrest.plugin.internal.view-0.1-dev.zip
         1550949 Apr 10 08:56 org.apache.forrest.plugin.output.Chart-0.1.zip
         1550949 Apr 10 08:56 org.apache.forrest.plugin.output.Chart.zip
           28933 Nov 13  2005 org.apache.forrest.plugin.output.POD-0.1.zip
           28933 Apr 10 08:56 org.apache.forrest.plugin.output.POD.zip
           56367 Nov 13  2005 org.apache.forrest.plugin.output.Text-0.1.zip
           56367 Apr 10 08:56 org.apache.forrest.plugin.output.Text.zip
          458112 Apr 10 08:56 org.apache.forrest.plugin.output.htmlArea-0.1.zip
          458112 Apr 10 08:56 org.apache.forrest.plugin.output.htmlArea.zip
           23715 Jul 13  2005 org.apache.forrest.plugin.output.pdf-0.1.zip
           23715 Apr 10 08:56 org.apache.forrest.plugin.output.pdf.zip

-------------------------------

Re: plugins deployment problem (Was: 0.8RC1 Failure)

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:
> Found it. Looking in the logs after the first failed
> 'forrest run'
> site-author/build/webapp/WEB-INF/logs/error.log
> showed that there was a problem with
> {defaults:bugtracking-url} in the projectInfo plugin
> input.xmap
>
> Comparing the downloaded plugin
> $FORREST_HOME/build/plugins/o.a.f...projectInfo/input.xmap
> with the trunk plugin input.xmap shows that this is old
> and therefore the projectInfo plugin was not
> properly publicly deployed.
>
> I just deployed that plugin again. Now we need
> to wait for the automated rsync to publish.
>
> I will monitor and test when it is ready.

The site was updated at about 20 mins past the hour.

The plugin was deployed to f.a.o/plugins/

However, when i do the site-author forrest run
it tries to get the plugin from f.a.o/plugins/0.8/
and so it gets an old copy.

I am going to manually svn copy the plugin from
forrest/site/plugins/o.a.f...projectInfo.zip to
forrest/site/plugins/0.8/o.a.f...projectInfo.zip

Will report back after 20 mins past again.

-David

Re: 0.8RC1 Failure

Re: 0.8RC1 Failure

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Ross Gardler wrote:
> 0.8RC1 fails to build site-author with errors such as the following in
> broken-links.xml:
>
> <link message="Could not find component for role:
> [org.apache.cocoon.components.modules.input.InputModule/defaults]
> (Key='org.apache.cocoon.components.modules.input.InputModule/defaults')"
> uri="procedures/release/How_to_release.html">
>     <referrer uri="linkmap.html"/>
> </link>
>
> a seed-sample works just fine.

Hmmm, i get the same.

Unpack the package,
cd site-author
forrest run
... get the error that you describe.

However when i stop the 'forrest run' and
immediately start it again, then all is well.

Similarly with 'forrest site' ...

Remove it,
Unpack the package,
cd site-author
forrest site
... get the error that you describe on every doc.

However when it is immediately done again,
then all is well.

-David