Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Michael Felt <ma...@gmail.com> on 2011/12/26 22:20:06 UTC

which apr to use, version numbering confusion

Hi all,

I am trying to configure and make httpd 3.16 beta on AIX and I see there is
a difference in the way apr is handled. However, I am confused about the
versioning numbering?

./configure  --with-included-apr ... says apr is version 1.4.5 while if I
check the apr mail list, it seems they are testing apr version 1.4.1. Are
this different packages? (I vaguely recall some discussion about this about
two years ago when the 2.3 branch was initially going into testing.)

regards,
Michael

Re: which apr to use, version numbering confusion

Posted by Michael Felt <ma...@gmail.com>.
thanks for correction.

Posted by Michael Felt <ma...@gmail.com>.
There is an example of how you can configure solaris using arguments to
configure with external apr and apr-util in build/pkg/buildpkg.sh

Posted by csross <cr...@hccs.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Ruediger Pluem <rp...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Mikhail T." <mi...@aldan.algebra.com>.
On 27.12.2011 08:24, Ruediger Pluem wrote:
> Some modules in 2.3 require the apr-util crypto API. These
> won't work with older apr-util versions.
Oh, Ok -- so a module may just not be built, if apr(-util) is too old at
compile time. But if it is available, it is fully-featured, right? In
other words, there are no silent #ifs in the code like:

    #if APR_UTIL_VERSION < 1.4
    disable some really cool feature or performance improvement
    #endif

Thanks for clarification! Yours,

    -mi

Re: which apr to use, version numbering confusion

Posted by Ruediger Pluem <rp...@apache.org>.

Mikhail T. wrote:
> On 27.12.2011 02:12, Ruediger Pluem wrote:
>> You can still run httpd 2.3 with APR-UTIL 1.3.x, but you will miss some features then.
>
> Will the features be missing from Apache itself? If so, is there a list of what's not available in the httpd?
>
> We are using the 2.2.x branch and I prefer compiling against the OS-provided apr, apr-util, and pcre. Thanks! Yours,

This comment was regards 2.3 and not 2.2. Some modules in 2.3 require the apr-util crypto API. These

Posted by "Mikhail T." <mi...@aldan.algebra.com>.

Posted by Ruediger Pluem <rp...@apache.org>.