Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by SwissUser <ky...@yahoo.com> on 2008/08/28 17:41:07 UTC

JPEG problem - FOP 0.95

Hi there

I am having problems using FOP 0.95 (with JDK 1.4 on Windows) with some
specific JPEGs  from a customer (one of which is attached below)

http://www.nabble.com/file/p19203276/wpv_image2.jpg

I have a few questions for the FOP community.

1. where can I find out what JPEG formats (colour tables etc) are supported
(the help only states - unusual color lookup tables and color
profiles............etc)
so that I can inform my users what is possible and not.

2. Can anyone tell me from the image attached - what is wrong with it, how
has it been saved/compressed etc such that it no longer works with FOP
(saving it with other programs or formats seems to solve the problem)

3. does anyone know, if this format is determinable, when/if it will be
supported, or who I can resolve this issue.

Thanks

Ashley

Re: JPEG problem - FOP 0.95

Posted by SwissUser <ky...@yahoo.com>.

Jeremias Maerki-2 wrote:

> On 28.08.2008 17:41:07 SwissUser wrote:
>>
>> Hi there
>>
>> I am having problems using FOP 0.95 (with JDK 1.4 on Windows) with some
>> specific JPEGs  from a customer (one of which is attached below)
>>
>> http://www.nabble.com/file/p19203276/wpv_image2.jpg
>>
>> I have a few questions for the FOP community.
>>
>> 1. where can I find out what JPEG formats (colour tables etc) are
>> supported
>> (the help only states - unusual color lookup tables and color
>> profiles............etc)
>> so that I can inform my users what is possible and not.
>
> To document something like that to every possible detail is a lot of
> work and is like to get out of sync with the code very quickly. Provided
> this is possible at all since there are so many sub-formats and variants
> in the image world. Of course, users can always help us gather
> information by adding such information on the Wiki or sending patches
> for our website sources.
>
>> 2. Can anyone tell me from the image attached - what is wrong with it,
>> how
>> has it been saved/compressed etc such that it no longer works with FOP
>> (saving it with other programs or formats seems to solve the problem)
>
> The JPEG uses SOF1 (Extended Sequential DCT). I've never been able to
> produce such a JPEG file and thus was never able to test with it. It
> looks like the loading stage is not fine enough to handle a JPEG that does
> not use baseline format. It has to be refined so more exotic JPEGs like
> yours get decoded by a JPEG codec. Right now, the code tries to embed
> the JPEG in the PDF without decoding it (to improve speed and lower
> memory consumption), but PDF doesn't support extended sequential DCT.
>
> Would you please add a Bugzilla entry (for product: Apache XML Graphics
> Commons) and attach your JPEG file to the issue? Thanks.
>
>> 3. does anyone know, if this format is determinable, when/if it will be
>> supported, or who I can resolve this issue.
>
> "When" is a question that you'll rarely get an answer for in a
> volunteer-driven project. Some changes are necessary in the image
> to loading/decoding the image using a codec.
>
> The work-around is to convert the image to a different format (or even
> JPEG again if you manage to avoid extended sequential DCT format).
>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Ashley
>> --
>>

> Jeremias Maerki

Hi Jeremias

THanks for the fast and informative reply, much appreciated

ashley

Re: JPEG problem - FOP 0.95

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
On 28.08.2008 17:41:07 SwissUser wrote:

> Hi there
>
> I am having problems using FOP 0.95 (with JDK 1.4 on Windows) with some
> specific JPEGs  from a customer (one of which is attached below)
>
> http://www.nabble.com/file/p19203276/wpv_image2.jpg
>
> I have a few questions for the FOP community.
>
> 1. where can I find out what JPEG formats (colour tables etc) are supported
> (the help only states - unusual color lookup tables and color
> profiles............etc)
> so that I can inform my users what is possible and not.

To document something like that to every possible detail is a lot of
work and is like to get out of sync with the code very quickly. Provided
this is possible at all since there are so many sub-formats and variants
in the image world. Of course, users can always help us gather
information by adding such information on the Wiki or sending patches
for our website sources.

> 2. Can anyone tell me from the image attached - what is wrong with it, how
> has it been saved/compressed etc such that it no longer works with FOP
> (saving it with other programs or formats seems to solve the problem)

The JPEG uses SOF1 (Extended Sequential DCT). I've never been able to
produce such a JPEG file and thus was never able to test with it. It
looks like the loading stage is not fine enough to handle a JPEG that does
not use baseline format. It has to be refined so more exotic JPEGs like
yours get decoded by a JPEG codec. Right now, the code tries to embed
the JPEG in the PDF without decoding it (to improve speed and lower
memory consumption), but PDF doesn't support extended sequential DCT.

Would you please add a Bugzilla entry (for product: Apache XML Graphics
Commons) and attach your JPEG file to the issue? Thanks.

> 3. does anyone know, if this format is determinable, when/if it will be
> supported, or who I can resolve this issue.

"When" is a question that you'll rarely get an answer for in a
volunteer-driven project. Some changes are necessary in the image
to loading/decoding the image using a codec.

The work-around is to convert the image to a different format (or even
JPEG again if you manage to avoid extended sequential DCT format).

> Thanks
>
> Ashley

Jeremias Maerki