Posted to dev@zookeeper.apache.org by Todd Nine <to...@spidertracks.com> on 2011/01/05 03:42:11 UTC

Adding MX4j functionality

Hey guys,
  We've been using this functionality a lot with Cassandra.  It makes
human administrative very easy, as well as gathering data for our splunk
installation.  How would I go about contributing similar functionality?

Could I create a new main type that instantiates the Zookeeper server
after stating the mx4j server?

Thanks,

todd
SENIOR SOFTWARE ENGINEER

todd nine| spidertracks ltd |  117a the square
po box 5203 | palmerston north 4441 | new zealand
E: todd@spidertracks.co.nz W: www.spidertracks.com

Re: Adding MX4j functionality

Posted by Todd Nine <to...@spidertracks.com>.
Hi Mahadev,
  Essentially the mx4j tools just starts a lightweight http server that
can serve jmx information over http in both web format and REST xml.  I
didn't want to modify any of the zookeeper code (I've downloaded it) so
that adapting the contribution to future releases is trivial.  It's a
bit of a chicken and egg with the mx4j tools.  Are there any hooks via
classpath scanning and interfaces I can implement to create another
service?  Otherwise I was thinking I would simply create a separate
thread for ZK to use when initializing and pass off all command line
arguments, then start mx4j since the call to the ZooKeeperMain blocks
after the server has started.  Thoughts?

Posted by Mahadev Konar <ma...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Hi Todd,