Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by John Tipper <jo...@hotmail.com> on 2019/05/30 10:29:34 UTC

Flink internals

Hi all,

Is there a guide somewhere for the internals of Flink for developers wanting to get involved in core development?  I'm particularly interested in any notes on how the codebase is put together so that it's possible to learn how it works internally.

I'm particularly interested in what classes are involved in the barrier mechanism and state and where these are found, but it's a large codebase so I'm sure it would be helpful for new developers to have pointers to what does what inside the codebase or where to start looking for details of certain things.

Many thanks,

John

Re: Flink internals

Posted by Piotr Nowojski <pi...@ververica.com>.
Hi,

You can also read the FLIP proposals. Unluckily, one that is very internal [1] about credit based flow control [2] was not published as an official FLIP :( Regarding network stack and some of the other topics, there are some blogs/Flink Forward talks as well.

Piotrek
[1] https://docs.google.com/document/d/1chTOuOqe0sBsjldA_r-wXYeSIhU2zRGpUaTaik7QZ84/edit <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1chTOuOqe0sBsjldA_r-wXYeSIhU2zRGpUaTaik7QZ84/edit>
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-7282 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-7282>

Re: Flink internals