Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Jason Nesbitt <ja...@gmail.com> on 2006/08/24 15:10:19 UTC

[users@httpd] cross server authentication

My company wants to migrate our existing web applications from
linux/apache/php|perl|java|etc to windows/IIS/asp.net.  Because we have so
many applications to port, we'll have to do them one at a time.  Our users
currently navigate back and forth between many of the different applications
and they will need to continue to do so without having to login twice for
each server.  The problem to solve will be how to share authentication
information between the two servers.  The current method of authentication
is Basic over SSL.  Obviously the browser isn't going to send this auth
header to a different host.  I'm thinking that I'll have to use apache as
the front end to all the web requests and have it forward those with
specific paths to the asp.net applications on the windows server.  The
problem is that I'm not quite sure how to do this.  Can someone point me in
the right direction?  Is there a better solution?
Thanks

Jason