Posted to user@roller.apache.org by Jon <jo...@serf.org> on 2005/11/04 20:42:20 UTC

Problem with clean installation of 1.2

Hi, I've been trying to make Roller 1.2 work but I can get nothing other
the following exception when I request a page:

ERROR 2005-11-04 19:29:32,868 | NavigationBarTag:prepareContext |
org.roller.RollerException: ERROR creating Page Model
ERROR 2005-11-04 19:29:32,878 | NavigationBarTag:doEndTag |
EditorNavigationBarTag exception
org.roller.RollerException: Failure initializing ContextLoader.
        at
org.roller.presentation.tags.menu.NavigationBarTag.doEndTag(NavigationBarTag.java:158)
        at
org.roller.presentation.tags.HybridTag.doEndTag(HybridTag.java:64)
        at
org.apache.jsp.main_jsp._jspx_meth_roller_NavigationBar_0(main_jsp.java:556)
        at org.apache.jsp.main_jsp._jspService(main_jsp.java:181)
        at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:94)
... (usual Tomcat stack trace follows.)

What does this mean? It appears to be somewhere inside Velocity. All
that is displayed is a page headed "Unexpected Exception", with the body
"null Reason 500".

This is a clean installation of Roller 1.2, on Tomcat 5.0.28 and
Postgres 7.4.7. The context config is a copy of roller_tomcat_5_0.xml in
the installation guide, with the database details modified for Postgres.
There are no exceptions when Roller starts up, and it has created a file
"segments" in its index directory and persisted 18 rows to the
roller_properties table.

After the application has been up for a while, I also get this in the log:

WARN  2005-11-04 19:42:38,124 | PingQueueProcessor:processQueue |
WARNING: Skipping current ping queue processing round because we cannot
yet determine the site's absolute context url.

I looked on the mailing list archive and one other person reported this
same exception, when upgrading to 1.2. Nobody replied to him (I have
confirmed this with him by email). I hope someone can help with this.

Thanks, Jon

Re: Problem with clean installation of 1.2

Posted by Anil Gangolli <an...@busybuddha.org>.
We should probably take this onto the JIRA and track progress there, or
at least switch to direct e-mail until we resolve it.

Here's my next suggestion.  Edit the log4j.properties file in the
WEB-INF/classes subdir of the Roller webapp. Change the logging level in
log4j.category.org.apache.velocity=FATAL to WARN.  Restart.  See if we
get more info.

--a.

Posted by Jon <jo...@serf.org>.
Hi Anil, thanks for replying:

--
____________________ ____ ____________________________________________________
 With metta from:    \ _/__   In the north sky time flies fast to the morning

Re: Problem with clean installation of 1.2

Posted by Anil Gangolli <an...@busybuddha.org>.
Jon wrote:

> Hi, I've been trying to make Roller 1.2 work but I can get nothing
> other the following exception when I request a page:
>
> ERROR 2005-11-04 19:29:32,868 | NavigationBarTag:prepareContext |
> org.roller.RollerException: ERROR creating Page Model
> ERROR 2005-11-04 19:29:32,878 | NavigationBarTag:doEndTag |
> EditorNavigationBarTag exception
> org.roller.RollerException: Failure initializing ContextLoader.
>        at
> org.roller.presentation.tags.menu.NavigationBarTag.doEndTag(NavigationBarTag.java:158)
>
>        at
> org.roller.presentation.tags.HybridTag.doEndTag(HybridTag.java:64)
>        at
> org.apache.jsp.main_jsp._jspx_meth_roller_NavigationBar_0(main_jsp.java:556)
>
>        at org.apache.jsp.main_jsp._jspService(main_jsp.java:181)
>        at
> org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:94)
> ... (usual Tomcat stack trace follows.)

Is there a nested / root cause exception printed.? There's not enough
juicy info in the top level one.
Also, please  look for an ERROR in the roller.log just prior to this.

> What does this mean? It appears to be somewhere inside Velocity. All
> that is displayed is a page headed "Unexpected Exception", with the
> body "null Reason 500".
>
> This is a clean installation of Roller 1.2, on Tomcat 5.0.28 and
> Postgres 7.4.7. The context config is a copy of roller_tomcat_5_0.xml
> in the installation guide, with the database details modified for
> Postgres. There are no exceptions when Roller starts up, and it has
> created a file "segments" in its index directory and persisted 18 rows
> to the roller_properties table.

Good.  This suggests that your database setup is working right.

> After the application has been up for a while, I also get this in the
> log:
>
> WARN  2005-11-04 19:42:38,124 | PingQueueProcessor:processQueue |
> WARNING: Skipping current ping queue processing round because we
> cannot yet determine the site's absolute context url.

This warning will occur when the ping queue processor (a periodic task)
runs before there have been any (successful) requests on the site.  It
is harmless.  It will continue to run and display the warning every 5
minutes or so until a request is made.

The fact that it is running is useful information, because it means most
of the Roller web app context initialized properly (this periodic task
is started near the end of it).

> I looked on the mailing list archive and one other person reported
> this same exception, when upgrading to 1.2. Nobody replied to him (I
> have confirmed this with him by email). I hope someone can help with
> this.

Will need more information to be able to diagnose it at all.  Are there
any other errors in the roller.log or in the tomcat logs?  Also, it may