Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Manuel Bernhardt <be...@gmail.com> on 2010/12/01 09:28:36 UTC

inter-module dependencies and jetty/tomcat

Hi all,

I have the following set-up:

Project
- module A: library (packaged as JAR)
- module B: test webapp (packaged as WAR)

B depends on A via a simple <dependency> declaration.

before migrating to maven, we had a tomcat / jetty set-up where B
would depend directly on the classes of A, so that you could debug &
do modifications on A while running / debugging B and not having to
re-build A.

is there any way to reproduce this? what I'm looking for would be some
kind of "direct module dependency" (i.e. instead of B depending on the
packaged A artifact, it would directly look at its classes) or some
means to tell jetty and tomcat "guys, for that artifact, look at this
path".

Thanks,

Manuel

Re: inter-module dependencies and jetty/tomcat

Posted by Manuel Bernhardt <be...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

thanks for the answer

> Not a good idea.
>  - No reproducability

I'm not sure what you mean by this

>  - Too many dependencies
Actually it's just one dependency, just that it's not depending on a
packaged JAR but on a directory.

>  - Too difficult for other members of the development to determine what
> combination actually works.

Again I'm not totally sure what you mean by this. When the maven
set-up is done I don't see what combinations the other devs would need
to work with.

> You might break A down to smaller more stable libraries.

A is a JSP & JSF taglib, B is the test webapp (with integration tests)
so it's quite bound to be debugged "in real time" for more complicated
matters that you can't spot outside of a container. We will break A
down in smaller libraries but that will not change the fact that we
need to be able to debug against the real sources.

Another way to express what I mean is some level of support for RAD by
allowing unpackaged dependencies for WAR set-ups. I know that IDEA and
m2eclipse set-up the classpaths to have these direct dependencies, but
when running the jetty/tomcat plugins, this doesn't apply.

> What do you want to improve by going to Maven?
The project is already migrated to maven for a while. The main reasons
were to reduce the amount of work necessary to maintain and develop
further the ANT build scripts whilst all the functionality we need
already exists in maven.

thanks,

Manuel

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
On 01/12/2010 3:28 AM, Manuel Bernhardt wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have the following set-up:
>
> Project
> - module A: library (packaged as JAR)
> - module B: test webapp (packaged as WAR)
>
> B depends on A via a simple<dependency>  declaration.
>
> before migrating to maven, we had a tomcat / jetty set-up where B
> would depend directly on the classes of A, so that you could debug&
> do modifications on A while running / debugging B and not having to
> re-build A.
>
> is there any way to reproduce this? what I'm looking for would be some
> kind of "direct module dependency" (i.e. instead of B depending on the
> packaged A artifact, it would directly look at its classes) or some
> means to tell jetty and tomcat "guys, for that artifact, look at this
> path".
Not a good idea.
  - No reproducability
  - Too many dependencies

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
> before migrating to maven, we had a tomcat / jetty set-up where B
> would depend directly on the classes of A, so that you could debug &
> do modifications on A while running / debugging B and not having to
> re-build A.

You can probably replicate this experience in Eclipse with m2e... or
possibly add in JRebel.

Take a look at Matt's post on thsi subject:
http://raibledesigns.com/rd/entry/using_jrebel_with_intellij_idea

Wayne