Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by James Berry <jb...@criticalpath.com> on 2000/10/10 01:42:17 UTC

Mac OS Updates

I've checked in a bunch of changes to the Mac OS port. Important among
those are:

 - Fixes and project files to allow builds under the ProjectBuilder
   environment on Mac OS X. Key among these is additional transcoding
   support to properly handle the XMLCh size mismatch due to
   differences between the wchar_t defined by GCC in this environment
   (32 bits) and the UniChar type native on the Mac (16 bits).

 - Fixes to path name creation and interpretation to handle both
   Classic MacOS and Mac OS X environments. Under Mac OS X I'm now
   careful to create pathnames that would be acceptable from the unix
   shell environment. Note that these differ from "classic" Mac paths
   not only in the separator characters but also due to the singly
   rooted directory tree on X vs. the multi-rooted tree in Mac OS
   Classic environments.

 - I've put a bunch of work into being as sensitive as possible
   about the machine/OS environment as possible. This code should
   be more adaptable to  work back to Mac OS 8.x systems (though I
   haven't tested this...feedback please). Along these lines, the
   code will now survive if URLAccess is missing, and should also
   work if the Unicode Collation utilities are not present (pre 8.6?).

 - Detection of software features is now done where possible by
   checking whether API symbols have been resolved rather than by
   using Gestalt. Not only is this faster and "safer" but also
   necessary under X where not all the Gestalt selectors are
   properly implemented as yet.

Feedback is welcome.

-jdb
--
/**********************************
 James D. Berry

Re: Mac OS Updates

Posted by James Berry <jb...@criticalpath.com>.
Thanks Andy, and sorry for that. My compilers weren't complaining ;)

That operator comes from auto_ptr but doesn't (as MSVC warns) apply
well to the
array case. I think we're okay without it for ArrayJanitor, and it can
stay in Janitor.

-jdb

Re: Mac OS Updates