Posted to dev@clerezza.apache.org by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> on 2012/05/01 12:46:19 UTC

Re: Report due on Wednesday

Hi,

The http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/February2012 report said

> ...We need to discuss a plan for community development with our mentors
> for the next board report. The next report will contain some clear
> actions....

I don't think that has happened - the board meeting is in two weeks,
so IMO there's still a bit of time for this to happen, even if you
submit the report tomorrow.

Apart from that I'd say Clerezza should be ready to graduate, the
release is out and the "better documentation" item does not warrant
staying in the incubator by itself, IMO.

-Bertrand

Re: Report due on Wednesday

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 1:19 PM, Daniel Spicar <da...@trialox.org> wrote:
> ...I implemented Bertrand's suggestions and added the report to
> http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/May2012

Thanks, I have signed it off.
-Bertrand

Re: Report due on Wednesday

Posted by Daniel Spicar <da...@trialox.org>.
Hi

I implemented Bertrand's suggestions and added the report to
http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/May2012

Daniel

Re: Report due on Wednesday

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Re: Report due on Wednesday

Posted by Daniel Spicar <ds...@apache.org>.
Ok here is a first DRAFT of the report:

Clerezza

(incubating since November 27th, 2009)

Clerezza is a framework and set of components designed to make it easy to
build application for the semantic and the social web.

Graduation:

We believe Clerezza will be ready to graduate soon. We still need to
improve documentation and tutorials but we believe this alone should not
stand in the way of graduation.

TODO: how to strengthen the community

How has the community developed since the last report:

  - The cooperation with the Apache Stanbol project has been improved with
two Stanbol committers becoming Clerezza committers.

How has the project developed since the last report.

  - We successfully released Clerezza (0.2-incubating).
  -  Apache Wink has accepted a patch by a Clerezza developer. This
presents an opportunity to replace our own JAX-RS implementation with
Wink's.
  - Discussions about the release process and its documentation have taken
place. We have identified possible problems with our version policy and
release process when releasing only a subset of the modules Clerezza
consists of. It is our intention to be able to make such releases. No
conclusion has been reached yet.
  - A drop of activity in the second half of this quarter (after the
release). This can be partially explained with the fact that many
developers use Clerezza in other projects and the release caused a
temporary shift in focus on those projects.

Signed off by mentor:

Please let me know about improvements (language, content).

Re: Report due on Wednesday

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

2012/5/1 Daniel Spicar <ds...@apache.org>

> We need to discuss a plan for community development for the report.
>

> Here are my thoughts. I did not think this trough in great detail. It's
> pretty much Brainstorming.
>
> It would be really good if we could get some more user interaction going.
> As I see it there are several users of Clerezza but the only community we
> hear from regularly is the Stanbol community.

This leads to a situation
> where I have a bad overview of who our users are and what they want
> improved. Am I just expecting too much? Does somebody know how such
> interaction can be encouraged?

In my past experience one thing that helps in getting new users (which will
make questions) is presenting a list of applications which take advantage
of the product.
So something like a "powered by Clerezza" page on our website may help.
Also I think we need to boost how a user/developer could read our code: if
I were interested only in the (very nice) RDF API Clerezza provides then I
may get lost when looking at the source code tree (look at [1]) so we may
structure the module tree some more in more conceptually related submodules.
Something like:
rdf-api
jax-rs
storage
security
ontologies
tools

> Another approach we could try is to get involved in something like GSoC or
> get students to work with/on Clerezza as part of their studies projects. We
> do have some connections to the University of Zurich and other
> institutions.

+1

> Third, maybe we could 'hook' some researchers on Clerezza, or at least the
> Clerezza API. From my experience at the University of Zurich, Jena is the
> de-facto standard and many researchers don't even know that Clerezza exist.

However to get them to use Clerezza we probably need to offer them some
> benefits. That probably means to invest quite some work into integrating
> some functionality they want but that Jena is not offering.

That was my experience as well, as far as I can say researchers don't care
much about this or that project as long as they have "a good thing for that
which just works" so your proposal of highlighting the Clerezza benefits
would make sense.

Apart from that I think we need to write some more documentation, I
remember we talked about having MoinMoin for our wiki. IMHO we should just
use that and add links on our website.

My 2 cents,
Tommaso

[1] : http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/clerezza/trunk/parent/