Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Tim OBrien <TO...@spirian.com> on 2003/07/11 18:38:03 UTC

Building the commons website

I added HiveMind to the sandbox components (xdoc/stylesheets/project.xml),
could someone regenerate the commons site, I'm having some serious troubles
(an NPE) trying to get the Anakia task to execute correctly with the latest
Velocity build.

On another note, is there any interest in rethinking our site generation
process.  (I'm not interested in a revolution, but an evolution.)  It would
be nice if our build process could do away with cross module dependencies as
a start.  Right now, our build depends on ../jakarta-velocity/build/lib.

Could we think about checking in dependencies into jakarta-commons/lib?
This way, one could build jakarta-commons docs without having to checkout
other cvs modules.

Tim

Re: Building the commons website

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On Monday, July 14, 2003, at 12:31 AM, Tim O'Brien wrote:

> On Sun, 2003-07-13 at 11:13, robert burrell donkin wrote:
>> storing jars in cvs should be avoided (where possible).
>
> Agreed in principle, I've never enjoyed storing dependencies in CVS
> myself.
>
> ....but jakarta-commons build.xml simply references jar files that have
> been checked into another project's CVS module.  Namely, by default, we
> get JDOM jars from ../jakarta-velocity/build/(I forget)/jdom-b8.jar

IIRC this was done for the convenience of those who have most of jakarta
checked out and because no one has ever been to agree on any better
defaults.

> Anyone for a Maven-esque solution?  Or a half-measure aimed at reducing
> the amount of manual work involved...

i'm not really convinced that the trouble of manually adding half a dozen
properties to a build.properties.sample file is so great that we need to
do anything too radical.

maybe we could reference (by default) the jars in jakarta-site2/lib. this
would isolate us from problems with later velocity versions and
jakarta-site2 is a small module which most jakarta committers will want
access to sooner or later.

- robert

Re: Building the commons website

Posted by Tim O'Brien <to...@discursive.com>.

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
hi tim

storing jars in cvs should be avoided (where possible).

the properties referencing ../jakarta-velocity/build/lib are just defaults
intended to customized by a build.properties file. if the CVS HEAD
velocity build isn't working correctly with anakia the easiest way to get
the site build working would be to download a velocity release and then
override the velocity.jar property in a build.properties so that it points
to the released jar.

- robert