Posted to users@jackrabbit.apache.org by Shaun Barriball <sb...@yahoo.co.uk> on 2007/03/27 12:33:17 UTC

Model 2 deployments on Tomcat: Ensure logging is explicitly disabled

.....following on from my email titled "Profiling shows Session management to
be a hotspot - session pooling etc"

After further analysis a lot the CPU time was spent in
PropertyId.toString().
This was called by various blocks surronded by "if (log.isDebugEnabled())"
within JackRabbit. When using a Model 2 deployment with the JackRabbit Jars
within Tomcat common/lib be aware that you need to explicitly ensure that
logging is disabled (even though I'm not seeing debug in any logs).

So by adding a log4j.xml to Tomcat common/classes with a <root> appender set
to WARN this bottle neck has improved.
releaseSession() is now 1.7% of CPU time instead of 11.4%.

My comment on pooling sessions still stands though.
Regards,
Shaun.