Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Maya Muchnik <mm...@pumatech.com> on 2001/03/21 19:56:24 UTC

license info - to keep or not

Hi,

Maybe somebody from developers can answer to me. Do I need to keep the
Apache license in the above of my code if I have modified that code. For
example, I am using Craig. M. LogonAction.java and have modified it a
lot. Do I need to keep the license including some record from cvs? Or I
need to put a note:

 *       "This product includes software developed by the
 *        Apache Software Foundation (http://www.apache.org/)."

Thanks,

Maya

Re: license info - to keep or not

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
Maya Muchnik wrote:
> Maybe somebody from developers can answer to me. Do I need to keep the
> Apache license in the above of my code if I have modified that code. For
> example, I am using Craig. M. LogonAction.java and have modified it a
> lot. Do I need to keep the license including some record from cvs?

If you are going to redistribute the code or your application (give it
somebody else), you are suppose to either retain the license <
http://apache.org/LICENSE > in the source code file, or include it (in a
seperate file) along with the binary files. This is suppose to apply
whether you modify the code or not.

Right now, the standard advice is that the full license should be
included. The ASF has a query into our attorneys about whether the
license can be incorporated by reference instead.

>Or I need to put a note:
>  *       "This product includes software developed by the
>  *        Apache Software Foundation (http://www.apache.org/)."

You are suppose to put this notice in the "End-User documentation in
addition to retaining the license in your source code, or including it
with your binaries.

-- Tel 716 737-3463.
-- http://www.husted.com/about/struts/