Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Jeremy Thomerson <je...@wickettraining.com> on 2008/11/24 19:13:13 UTC

[VOTE] Organizing Wicket Stuff / Regular Release Schedule?

Hello everyone,
  I would like to get your opinion on an idea regarding the Wicket Stuff
project(s).  As you are familiar with, Wicket Stuff is where anyone can
create anything related to Wicket, small or large.  One problem that new
users of Wicket (and us "old" users) come across is that there is a lot of
stuff in there, and not all of it is well maintained, and there aren't
specific releases of many of the projects.  So, you have to build it
yourself and figure out which version matches which Wicket version, etc...

  What I would like to know is if everyone thinks it would be good to have a
subset of WS projects that are structured in a way that they are always in
sync with the Wicket versions.  IOW, there would be two branches - 1.3.X and
1.4 (trunk), just like Wicket has.  There would be a parent module and all
of the modules that wanted to participate would be structured under it.
They would all release in sync with Wicket.  For instance, when Wicket
releases 1.4-RC2, we would cut a release of this wicket-stuff-structured
(bad name) and all of the projects under it at 1.4-RC2.  I haven't yet
figured out how interim releases would work (new features are added to a WS
project and it wants to cut a release between wicket releases) or if that
matters.

  This would not have to effect all WS projects - someone could continue to
add projects to WS just like they do today.  This would simply create a
sub-tree of projects that are in the structured / scheduled release area.
For those that don't want to be part of that structure, they could continue
operating as they do today.

So, here's the vote:

[ ] - NO!  We should leave Wicket Stuff like it is - a free-for-all with no
structure
[ ] - YES - I would like to see at least the most used Wicket Stuff projects
structured so that they mirror Wicket, and a release is produced for each
Wicket release.
[ ] - Maybe - I have a better idea (perfect!)

Also - please add the following:
1 - Would you be interested in helping to maintain such a thing. (If we had
two or three of the owners of the larger projects on board, I don't think it
would be too hard to keep the codebase of this in sync with Wicket core.)
2 - What projects do you own (and by your vote we'll see if you want those
projects to be included in this restructuring).

--
Jeremy Thomerson
http://www.wickettraining.com

Re: [discuss] Organizing Wicket Stuff / Regular Release Schedule?

Posted by Ryan McKinley <ry...@gmail.com>.
Great work!  Its really looking good!

Two more suggestions:

1. Add the maven-jetty-plugin the the root pom.  It would be nice if
'mvn jetty:run' works for all the examples.

2. Remove all eclipse projects (.project .classpath) from svn and add
the 'maven-eclipse-plugin' to the root project.

I can make patches for these changes if you like...  but i'm not
totally clear on the etiquette for wicketstuff.  Is someone (you?)
allowed to apply a patch that affects build for many projects?

ryan

Posted by Jeremy Thomerson <je...@wickettraining.com>.

Posted by Jurek Piasek <ju...@gmail.com>.
It is easy to vote yes to this.

Posted by Ryan McKinley <ry...@gmail.com>.
yes, that is a problem with this plugin -- it looks at the configured
pom scm and uses the info from there.  The biggest problem is that if
you build a modified version, the revision number is from the repos,
*not* your code!  so if 'svn info' shows Revision: 220M or 220~218,
the cooked in version would still be 220.

In ant, I had a task that calls 'svn info' and parses the result, but
this is the best off the shelf replacement i could find in maven.

ryan

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Posted by Ryan McKinley <ry...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Posted by Jeremy Thomerson <je...@wickettraining.com>.
Good suggestion - I like that, too.  I'll plan on adding it to the parent
POM.

Thanks!

Posted by Ryan McKinley <ry...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 11:38 AM, Jeremy Thomerson <
jeremy@wickettraining.com> wrote:

> I think Wayne was referring not to your post, but in general - if we
> package
> most of the projects up neatly under one parent, then other projects that
> aren't in the same subdirectory / build cycle may get lost.
>
> I don't see this as too much of an issue - a project's visibility will come
> from a) it's documentation on wicketstuff.org or b) it's userbase talking
> about it on the user list.  Typically, browsing the SVN tree isn't the way
> we find projects.

Agreed!  Now, the only issue is beefing up the documentation on
wicketstuff.org.  I've found that it's very difficult to find what I'm
looking for up there.

Re: [discuss] Organizing Wicket Stuff / Regular Release Schedule?

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 5:38 PM, Jeremy Thomerson
<je...@wickettraining.com> wrote:
> Typically, browsing the SVN tree isn't the way we find projects.

Talk for yourself :)

Martijn

Re: [discuss] Organizing Wicket Stuff / Regular Release Schedule?

Posted by Jeremy Thomerson <je...@wickettraining.com>.

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Posted by Wayne Pope <wa...@googlemail.com>.
YES.

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Posted by Jeremy Thomerson <je...@wickettraining.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Organizing Wicket Stuff / Regular Release Schedule?

Posted by Per Ejeklint <ej...@mac.com>.

[X] - YES - I would like to see at least the most used Wicket Stuff projects

Posted by Dipu <di...@googlemail.com>.
[X] - YES

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 6:13 PM, Jeremy Thomerson <jeremy@wickettraining.com

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
[X] YES

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 1:13 PM, Jeremy Thomerson

Posted by Francisco Diaz Trepat - gmail <fr...@gmail.com>.

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 3:13 PM, Jeremy Thomerson <jeremy@wickettraining.com

Posted by Advanced Technology® <th...@gmail.com>.
 X ] - YES - I would like to see at least the most used Wicket Stuff
projects
AT(R)

RE: [VOTE] Organizing Wicket Stuff / Regular Release Schedule?

Posted by "Hoover, William " <wh...@nemours.org>.
[X] - YES - I would like to see at least the most used Wicket Stuff
projects structured so that they mirror Wicket, and a release is
produced for each Wicket release.

This should be a no-brainer ;o)

Posted by Nino Saturnino Martinez Vazquez Wael <ni...@jayway.dk>.
Argh that should have been  = "igor did a release prior to the 1.4
initial release, called 1.3 or something.."

-Wicket for love

Nino Martinez Wael
Java Specialist @ Jayway DK
http://www.jayway.dk
+45 2936 7684

Re: [VOTE] Organizing Wicket Stuff / Regular Release Schedule?

Posted by Nino Saturnino Martinez Vazquez Wael <ni...@jayway.dk>.

Posted by Nino Saturnino Martinez Vazquez Wael <ni...@jayway.dk>.

Posted by Swanthe Lindgren <sw...@megasol.se>.

Posted by Ryan McKinley <ry...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stefan Simik <st...@gmail.com>.
[X] YES - very good and useful idea !

Posted by Antony Stubbs <an...@gmail.com>.
> [X] - YES - I would like to see at least the most used Wicket Stuff
> projects
> structured so that they mirror Wicket, and a release is produced for
> each
> Wicket release.

Sounds like a good idea, if you can get enough WS projects to actively
participate. My concern would be waning interest.

Posted by Marat Radchenko <sl...@gmail.com>.
[X] YES