Posted to site-dev@james.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2008/08/18 23:12:48 UTC

[James Wiki] Update of "RunAsService" by renen

Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "James Wiki" for change notification.

The following page has been changed by renen:
http://wiki.apache.org/james/RunAsService

- '''Windows'''
+ ''Windows''

  * Copy %jamesdirhere%\conf\wrapper.conf to %jamesdirhere%\bin\
  * Then, from a command line, execute: wrapper.exe -i wrapper.conf
@@ -9, +9 @@

  * %jamesdirhere%\bin\wrapper.exe -i %jamesdirhere%\conf\wrapper.conf

- '''Linux'''
+ ''Linux''

- For Linux I know of two ways to do it.
+ '''For Red Hat'''

- For Red Hat there are these instructions; http://www.ejbsolutions.com/products/obox/community/ch20.html. These worked on Red Hat for me easily. However I think the wrapper method below is probably more recommended as it almost "out of the box" functionality with James.  For Debian - I found the Red Hat instructions above didn't work straight away.  So I used the wrapper" instructions on my Debian box, which turned out to be ''much'' simpler.
+ Add the following two lines to the start of phoenix.sh to make it chkconfig friendly (phoenix.sh lives in james/bin):

+ {{{
+ #chkconfig: 2345 80 05
+ }}}
+
+ Then add the following line (also to phoenix.sh) to set the JAVA_HOME value
+ {{{
+ export JAVA_HOME=/usr/java/j2sdk/
+ }}}
+
+ The first three lines of phoenix.sh are now
+ {{{
+ #chkconfig: 2345 80 05
+ export JAVA_HOME=/usr/java/j2sdk/
+ }}}
+
+
+ Add a symbolic link to the james start up script (phoenix.sh)
+ {{{
+ cd /etc/init.d
+ ln -s /opt/james-2.3.1/bin/phoenix.sh james
+ }}}
+
+ Then, add james as a service
+ {{{