Posted to user@ode.apache.org by "Andres P. Ferrando" <an...@pruna.com.ar> on 2008/10/24 21:48:35 UTC

Ode Review

Hi,

My name is Andres. I'm currently writing a comparison about open source
BPEL engines. I was reviewing the info in your website and published
documentation, and there are several things that I couldn't find info about.
I'd like to know if I can ask here, or should I write to anyone else
about this issues.

   Andrés P. Ferrando
http://www.pruna.com.ar/

Re: Ode Review

Posted by "Andres P. Ferrando" <an...@pruna.com.ar>.
Hi Sandro,

No yet. I hope to have something for the end of the week. I will gladly
send it to you.

--
   Andrés P. Ferrando
http://www.pruna.com.ar/

Re: Ode Review

Posted by Alex Boisvert <bo...@intalio.com>.
On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 4:05 AM, Andrés P. Ferrando <an...@pruna.com.ar>wrote:

> Process Versioning
> There's something that's not clear for me: what happens with running
> instances? If you just replace process, there'll be unexpected results
> several times.

Existing instances continue to run to completion, unaffected.

New instances are started using the latest (activated) version.

> About roadmap and new releases: this are great news! I think it's really
> important for a project to publish this, so people stays tunned for things
> that are expecting.

Agreed!

alex

Re: Ode Review

Posted by "Andrés P. Ferrando" <an...@pruna.com.ar>.
Alex,

Thanks a lot for the info.

Process Versioning
There's something that's not clear for me: what happens with running
instances? If you just replace process, there'll be unexpected results
several times.

Human Tasks
Yes, I know it, and it's a great project! I'll add a link to Tempo.

About roadmap and new releases: this are great news! I think it's really
important for a project to publish this, so people stays tunned for things
that are expecting.

Regards,

--
   Andrés P. Ferrando
http://www.pruna.com.ar/

Re: Ode Review

Posted by Alex Boisvert <bo...@intalio.com>.
Andres,

Re: Ode Review

Posted by "Andres P. Ferrando" <an...@pruna.com.ar>.
Hi Sandro,

--
   Andrés P. Ferrando
http://www.pruna.com.ar/

Re: Ode Review

Posted by Sandro Reichert <re...@rn.inf.tu-dresden.de>.
Hi Andrés,

I'm interested in your comparison of the engines. Is there a draft
already (publicly) available?

> The main thing missing in project documentation is dates. This dates are
> really useful to see project's health (how it's growing), and to know
> when to expect new stuff (for example, cluster support).
>
> Is there also any way to organize the roadmap, so it'll be clearer which
> things are done, and what's next?
>
> I couldn't find info about release history or release plan.

Dates would be very useful!

Cheers,
Sandro

dangerous content by OpenProtect(http://www.openprotect.com), and is
believed to be clean.

Re: Ode Review

Posted by "Andres P. Ferrando" <an...@pruna.com.ar>.
>> The main thing missing in project documentation is dates. This dates are
>> really useful to see project's health (how it's growing), and to know
>> when to expect new stuff (for example, cluster support).
>>

> I usually try to put dates in the news section of the main page although it
> seems we haven't for the last 3 events. I've just added dates for the
> releases. As for the roadmap we usually never put dates or estimates there.
> It's highly dependent on who volunteers.

I saw the dates, thanks.
About the roadmap, I understand what you mean. I just think that in
these situations, dates are clearly just indicators. But it be really
useful for people to understand priorities, and have a rough idea about
what's probably coming.

>> I see the project more focused on the core BPEL engine, and not that
>> much in enterprise features (like Human Task support, clustering,
>> security, transactions)
>>

> Not necessarily. Although historically we've tried to do BPEL right before
> implementing enterprise features. But now we have a task manager that's
> taking shape in the sandbox (
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ode/sandbox/singleshot/), support for
> several security features has been gradually improved (a recent commit added
> WS-Security with Rampart) and I think Karthick is working on transaction
> propagation and atomic scopes (note that we've had transaction support in
> the engine since day 1).

Ok, this are great news. And it's also what I've pointed out. I think
that people watching at the project will be very interested in know
about all this (and again, it's not a commitment, nor a deadline, just
useful info).
When you talk about transaction support you mean using the internal DB,
right? I mean more the kind of transactional interaction with other parties.

>> Is there also any way to organize the roadmap, so it'll be clearer which
>> things are done, and what's next?
>
> We should work on that.
>

>> I couldn't find info about release history or release plan.
>>
>> Do you know about any company providing commercial support?
>>

> I know Intalio does. I've heard of a couple of other names but I don't know
> what's their respective status so I'll let them speak for themselves.

Ok. Yes, I've been looking at this project since some time now. There's
also a kind of subproject in there called Tempo that looks very promising.

One more question: have you been looking at the PVM (Process Virtual
Machine,
http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2007/05/07/the-process-virtual-machine.html)?
As a brief intro, it's the "core" for jBPM, Orchestra, and other process
engines.

Thanks a lot!

--
   Andrés P. Ferrando
http://www.pruna.com.ar/

Re: Re: Ode Review

Posted by Matthieu Riou <ma...@offthelip.org>.
On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 9:37 AM, Andres P. Ferrando <an...@pruna.com.ar>wrote:

> Hi Matthieu,
>
> Ok, thanks! The documentation is mostly clear enough. It's also very
> important that you point out missing stuff also.
>
> The main thing missing in project documentation is dates. This dates are
> really useful to see project's health (how it's growing), and to know
> when to expect new stuff (for example, cluster support).

I usually try to put dates in the news section of the main page although it
seems we haven't for the last 3 events. I've just added dates for the
releases. As for the roadmap we usually never put dates or estimates there.
It's highly dependent on who volunteers.

> I see the project more focused on the core BPEL engine, and not that
> much in enterprise features (like Human Task support, clustering,
> security, transactions)

Not necessarily. Although historically we've tried to do BPEL right before
implementing enterprise features. But now we have a task manager that's
taking shape in the sandbox (
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ode/sandbox/singleshot/), support for
several security features has been gradually improved (a recent commit added
WS-Security with Rampart) and I think Karthick is working on transaction
propagation and atomic scopes (note that we've had transaction support in
the engine since day 1).

> Is there also any way to organize the roadmap, so it'll be clearer which
> things are done, and what's next?

We should work on that.

> I couldn't find info about release history or release plan.
>
> Do you know about any company providing commercial support?

I know Intalio does. I've heard of a couple of other names but I don't know
what's their respective status so I'll let them speak for themselves.

Cheers,
Matthieu

Re: Re: Ode Review

Posted by "Andres P. Ferrando" <an...@pruna.com.ar>.