Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by David E Jones <jo...@undersunconsulting.com> on 2006/09/14 00:34:47 UTC

Visiting London 22 Sep to 18 Oct

Hello all,

I'll be in the London area from the 22nd of September through the
18th of October. During the 3 work weeks in there I'll be working
during the day, and I'll be available at the weekends and the off
days early and late in the trip. On the days I'm working I'll be in
Hemel Hempstead, and for the 2nd and 3rd weeks I'll actually be
staying in nearby Watford.

I'd love to meet with anyone who is in the area while I'm over there.
In past trips to many places it has been a consistently great
experience to meet with OFBiz users and others interested in the
project, and on trips to the UK it has been great to meet and spend
some time with people like Andrew Sykes and Ian Gilbert who are both
pretty known in the OFBiz community.

If someone has resources to host a networking event, that would be
really great too. A couple of people have approached me about
possibly doing this in the past, and I'd be very much up for it.

Also, it was great to meet some of the Apache guys at OSCON a few
weeks ago, like David Welton and J. Aaron Farr, and I actually met
Leon Torres for the first time too. I've looked around a little but
don't know of any ASF related things going on in that area during
that time, but if there are any Apache folks around I'd be
interesting in meeting. I know this is during the US ApacheCon, so it
may not work out too well, but it's worth a try!

-David

Re: Visiting London 22 Sep to 18 Oct

Posted by David Welton <da...@gmail.com>.
> well, I'm not a developer like you are, but I'd really like to attend to
> this meeting. Amsterdam would be nice, less than 300km for me.

Just so it's clear, I'm not one of the OFBiz developers.  I'm acting
as a mentor at the ASF for the project, but that's an organizational
thing rather than a code thing.

--
David N. Welton
 - http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/

Linux, Open Source Consulting
 - http://www.dedasys.com/

Re: Visiting London 22 Sep to 18 Oct

Posted by Fabian Gorsler <fa...@der-moloch.de>.
Hi,

David Welton wrote:

> Standard procedure on that list is usually along the lines of
> announcing "hey, I'm in the area, anyone want to get a
> beer/wine/whatever?".
>
> I'll second the Amsterdam recommendation, it's a nice city.

well, I'm not a developer like you are, but I'd really like to attend to
this meeting. Amsterdam would be nice, less than 300km for me.

Best regards,
Fabian.

Re: Visiting London 22 Sep to 18 Oct

Posted by David Welton <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@undersunconsulting.com>.
On Sep 13, 2006, at 6:52 PM, Christian Geisert wrote:

>> Also, it was great to meet some of the Apache guys at OSCON a few
>> weeks ago, like David Welton and J. Aaron Farr, and I actually
>> met  Leon Torres for the first time too. I've looked around a
>> little but  don't know of any ASF related things going on in that
>> area during  that time, but if there are any Apache folks around
>> I'd be  interesting in meeting. I know this is during the US
>> ApacheCon, so it  may not work out too well, but it's worth a try!
>
> Well, depending how you define "around that area" ;-) there's the
> Cocoon
> GetTogether (http://www.cocoongt.org/) on October 2/3/4 in Amsterdam
> where I *might* be there amongst lots of Cocooners and some FOP
> people.

That might be a little too far away for what I can do on this trip...
Actually, if it it went over a weekend so I didn't have to be on-site
those days I'd be tempted to go for it. I've never visited Amsterdam,
but it's an interesting place and I wouldn't need too much of an
excuse to go for it. ;)

Posted by Christian Geisert <ch...@isu-gmbh.de>.
David E Jones schrieb:

> Hello all,

[..]

> Also, it was great to meet some of the Apache guys at OSCON a few  weeks
> ago, like David Welton and J. Aaron Farr, and I actually met  Leon
> Torres for the first time too. I've looked around a little but  don't
> know of any ASF related things going on in that area during  that time,
> but if there are any Apache folks around I'd be  interesting in meeting.
> I know this is during the US ApacheCon, so it  may not work out too
> well, but it's worth a try!

Well, depending how you define "around that area" ;-) there's the Cocoon
GetTogether (http://www.cocoongt.org/) on October 2/3/4 in Amsterdam
where I *might* be there amongst lots of Cocooners and some FOP people.

You could also ask on party@apache.org (it seems there is no info on the
website but see
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-community/200310.mbox/%3C011601c39367$686b8fa0$7500a8c0@goliath%3E
for some information)