Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> on 2018/09/10 00:31:37 UTC

Incubator release checklist

HI,

As part of the workshop I ran recently I had people look at a real release and go though a checklist before voting on it, it my be of some help other people checking releases. I’ve just added a version of it to the incubator wiki. [1] Feedback welcome.

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/IncubatorReleaseChecklist#preview

Re: Incubator release checklist

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.
Releases are invariably created from a particular commit from the source control system (usually a git commit these days). I think it’s important to check that the contents of the source tarball match the contents of the source control system at that commit. (To do this, I unpack the tar file in one directory, checkout the source tree in another directory, and do a “diff -r” command.) We rely on the source control system for the provenance of the release, but this process is broken if we don’t check that two are in sync.

This process also catches cases where the release manager has accidentally included generated files not under source control.

So, I think this should be added to the check list.

Julian

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi -

I like the wiki idea. Under each checkpoint we can offer shell commands that have been useful for various mentors.

As Mentors we should be referring prolongs to this process as well and if they wish to create unique scripts for their products then so much the better.

Here is a checker.sh I use for signatures and hashes:
#!/bin/bash
mv ${1}.asc.txt ${1}.asc
gpg --verify ${1}.asc
shasum -a 256 ${1} ; cat ${1}.sha256.txt
shasum -a 512 ${1} ; cat ${1}.sha512.txt

I download manually, but one could see how to curl too.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@apache.org>.
Hi,